Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Teaching step up without treats or sticks

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Teaching step up without treats or sticks

Postby MrsMom25 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 am

I have had my Goffin's Cockatoo, Amelia, since Sunday (yes, only 4 days). She has apparently chosen me as Her Person, and will allow me to scratch her head, pet her, and will even lean into my chest and snuggle if I'm standing near her cage or stand. She's even napped while sitting on my knee. She doesn't, however, step up. The only way I can get her onto my hand or arm to move her is to literally "trap" her by getting her into a position where I can get my arms around her on the cage so that she can't go anywhere but onto my arm. I do it slowly, while scratching and talking to her so she doesn't feel forced, but she is very VERY reluctant to step up, ever. Once on my hand she's fine and seems to really enjoy walking around with me checking out the scenery.

We have clicker trained animals before and were going to go that route. I brought out a training stick to start pointing with it, and she had a total meltdown, launched herself to the floor (wings are clipped) and ran off in terror. I've since found that even a ballpoint pen terrifies her.

She's also not at all treat motivated. She has definite favorites, but will not cross whatever boundary is in her mind to get one. She's in poor condition, so I'm very hesitant to withhold feed from her to get her hungry enough to go for the treat.

I will keep working with her to build trust, but it's not like she's afraid of me at all. She just will NOT step up. I'm going to try clicker training just using my finger, but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

Heaven only knows what this poor girl went through. Someone loved her at some point, but in between them and me...????

Thanks, everyone!
Carrie
MrsMom25
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin's Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Teaching step up without treats or sticks

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:41 pm

My suggestion is not to rush things. Even though you think that she is completely comfortable with you, I can assure you she is not. She is on her honeymoon stage and it will end. It always does. But they are all intensely needy and some of them would look for human company even if they don't trust them completely... it takes time for them to trust you 100% and, personally, I would not even consider any kind of formal training until she does. She will step up when she is ready. She will even ask for it (cockatoos usually go down to the floor and walk to where you are and either look up at you begging-like or touch your feet with their beak) so my suggestion is to wait until this happens or until when she does it when you ask (you should ask her every day but not insist, say it once or twice and, if she doesn't do it, tell her it's OK and just keep on doing your thing). I would also stop grabbing her by the body to get her to come out of the cage - it's not good to get them used to something that you should not do in the long term and the grabbing is always stressful even if they don't apparently react to it.

Mind you, it's not that I don't understand that you want to establish a relationship and are in a bit of a hurry for it - we all feel that way with a new bird, even when we have a number of them. I know I do! But, with parrots, it's better to allow things to develop at the bird's pace and not to force them. Grabbing a bird by the body is not something you want to have to do unless it's absolutely necessary because it's a predator thing. Open the door to her cage and allow her to come out on her own and, if she doesn't do it, don't force the issue. I got a new sun conure on Dec/23 and today was the first day she came out of her cage even though I open the door every single morning. And all she did was take two steps on her door (it's the kind that is like a little drawbridge so, when you open it, it becomes a platform of sorts) and went back inside after a few seconds. But it was good enough for me to praise her profusely and give her a few head scritches (she has been allowing that for some days now). Parrots are intelligent and independent animals, they don't understand the concept of bosses because they don't live in a hierarchical society so it's always better to let them decide the when and how when starting a life together with them. Respect is essential to trust.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:27 pm

I understand that you want the interaction and actually so too does your new bird, but you are moving too fast for the bird and really need to respect that this bird is trying to very gently tell you that you are pushing too hard. Be patient and allow the bird to make the first move, then you offer to help the bird attain what it wants, but even then you need to listen when the bird is saying I really, really want to be with you, but I am not ready to step up for it just yet.

A prime example of this exact thing is that you are trapping her on top of the cage to get her to step up. One of the biggest problems with this approach is that the bird is trying to avoid stepping up which is part of the birds natural flight or fight response and eventually when this bird decides that the flight portion ( the avoiding behavior ) is not working the bird will then resort to the fight part of this response and you are in the perfect position to be permanently disfigured by a single bite, if the birds stops with just one bite, So please reconsider what it is that you are doing.

Please understand that the birds trust is the only thing that you should be after from the bird, especially with only having her for four days. The first 30 days or so is also a great time to evaluate and begin working on improving the birds diet. Spend the time talking and singing and even dancing for the bird, let her get used to you and the sound of your voice and don't worry about the step up because if the bird trusts you and has chosen you as its favorite human it will want to be with and on you and it will come to you and step up onto you of its own free will, you will not have to trick it, or trap it or even train it, the bird will do it all on its own.
I have an amazon who was abused and it has taken three years for her to come out of her cage and hang out with us without the protection of her cage. I also have an African Grey parrot that will not respond to treats as a reward for doing anything. This does not mean that she doesn't want or receive treats because she does. She just wont accept them unless they are freely given. She also steps up on her own volition.
You can do what you will, but if you don't have the birds trust, you really have nothing of value from the bird, it is well worth waiting for it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby MrsMom25 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 am

I understand. Yes, you're right, I'm very anxious for a relationship with her, but I'll lay off. She talks to us and dances with us, but just doesn't want to step up. If she does end up on our hands, she loves walking around looking at things, and really seems to enjoy the adventures. That's why not wanting to step up is so confusing. I don't pick her up by her body, and would only do so in an emergency, though I must admit that the temptation is there. ;)

The final ingredients (the Kashi 7 grain) arrives today so I can start her on gloop, and she's readily eating leafy greens and fruits in the mornings now, so we're on our way to a better diet for her.

Thanks again! I'll slow down with Amelia and wait for her.
MrsMom25
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin's Cockatoo

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:58 pm

It is fine to offer your hand or arm for her to step up on, just don't push it as that detracts from the trust that you are trying to build with her. Try offering her your forearm instead of your hand, it could make a difference in her stepping up. Think of " Step up " as a request or suggestion and not as an order and allow her to say no. You can always offer again in a few minutes.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training