Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

amazon loves to terrify mom and wont leave dad's side.

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

amazon loves to terrify mom and wont leave dad's side.

Postby Veronica » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:43 am

I think my lilac loves my parents but idk. Whenever I take my baby out to where my parents are he gets really excited. He will fly his happy little self to my father no questions asked. My dad will hold him and let him go to his shoulder and chill there for about 5 minutes and then give him back to me so that he can go on about his day. Recently rex will not have it. When my dad tries giving him back rex has a fit and starts biting me running away from me, back to my dads shoulder and even biting my dad because he doesnt want to be given back. Rex has only ever seen my dad for 5-10 mind at a time, my dad does not give him any kind of snacks at all he just lets him sit in his shoulder and then gives him back thats all the interaction the two have ever had so why is my lilac acting out this way? Rex also does something similar when my older bro comes to visit but he doesnt visit often so yea just thought id mention that.

Also if my mom walks into the room he will fly to her actually on her. Um my mom is very scared of him. She is afraid of being bitten so she pays very little attention to him when he flies on her she just wants me to get him off w/o letting him bite her. She has never held him. She actually thinks that good interaction with him is by playing rough with him like flicking her fingers at him and pissing him off enough for him to strike at her. Thats the only time theyve ever spent together but recently he just wants to use her as a perch whenever he sees her. I dont understand it.

My husband and I are the care takers of this lovely lilac and he seems to be prefering me over ny husband so I dont think sex of the human is a factor. Any ideas?
Veronica
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lilac amazon and 1 large amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: amazon loves to terrify mom and wont leave dad's side.

Postby liz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:08 am

With help they become very social. Their little bird brains hold more than we expect. Rambo likes women and Myrtle likes men.
They like noise. If they are not screaming and making noise they will antagonize a human to make them yell. Before my mother passed Rambo used my Aunt Betty as his noise maker to make her scream. Myrtles human to pick on is my daughter Rachel.
Since his "gran'ma" went on her permanentbye bye he changed and claimed Aunt Betty for a Grandmom. It really freaked her out at first.
Each one has his own personality. They are like 2 year old who want their way.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: amazon loves to terrify mom and wont leave dad's side.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Well, obviously, our lilac crowned has chosen your father as his own personal human. Parrots are like that, they choose who they want to love and there is nothing we can do about it. I think that, sometimes, it has to do with the gender of the person who raised/handfed them. I know that the two (and possibly three now) parrots I have that prefer my husband had male owners before. Maybe your lilac crowned breeder was a man and he goes to your mother because he figured out that she belongs with him so, in his mind, he is saying: "Maybe if I stick with her, I will end up with my beloved"

It's real hard on us, owners, when our parrot chooses somebody else, isn't it?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training