Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fighting through bars

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Fighting through bars

Postby Chantilly » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm

I hope I posted this is in the right spot..
I don't know if this is a problem or not, but Tilly and Shrek have quite a few rivralries.
When I get Tilly out of her cage, she will be happy playing with me for atleast 15minutes, then she will start flying of and causing mischeouf (as birdies do..) If Tilly gets bored of being held though, her favourite thing to do Is go and pick a fight with the bigger Shrek. Tilly has a ball doing this, and she lunges at Shrek ant tries to bite her beak, feet or tongue as Shrek tries to get Tilly.
So you know this is all though the cage, they have never (and likely will never) be out at the same time.
Infact this is one of the things that Tilly likes doing so much, that I will get bit for trying to break up the fight. Shrek enjoys it too, but not as much. They almost seem like they are playing the way they both work together to get some distance to catch their breath at the same time and then run back to eachother and start fighting again, but they are certainly being aggressive with eachother.
Tilly has not been in naughty at all since getting Shrek, but I think she is jelous that Shrek is getting the whole families laughs and amusment... hopefully everyones amazment in Shrek habits soon fade down so as they are given an equal amount of attention from everyone.
Do I need to make more of an effort to stop them attacking eachother, or is it ok for them to do it. They are fine with their cages being near eachother, and they dont act at all unusuall, It is just Tilly enjoying picking fights... I think.
They dont mind eachother, really, and infact Tilly is starting to learn some things feom Shrek and visa versa.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Fighting through bars

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:40 pm

This is not good by any definition of the word. They are not playing and are in fact quite serious in their attempts to harm each other. I would make sure that neither one of them can get to the others cage for any reason.

If you will go to this thread and open it to page 12 you can read about Fajr losing his toe to another bird by landing on the other birds cage for the purposes of picking a fight and he lost. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14338 Shiraartain was very lucky that Fajr did not bleed to death from the wound.

Do not allow this to continue, if you need to place the cages in separate rooms to prevent this, then please do so before either or both of them are seriously injured.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:01 am

Wow, Ouch! oK I will definately make sure that I dont let that happen. Thankyou Wolf. I am glad to know that it is actually fighting though, because I was unsure.
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:58 am

Birds are very territorial creatures and not just about their nesting places either. Have you ever watched hummingbirds at a feeder? If you watch closely you will see that they are not just randomly flying about, they are very actively chasing each other away from the feeder.

A birds cage is its nesting territory and they will fight to the death defending it from any intruder. This includes other birds of any size or species, birds of the same species other than its mate and sometimes even them or humans. It is one of the reasons that when advising people on handtaming their new birds that we try to keep them from reaching into the birds cage any more than is required. We try to teach them to show some respect for the bird and the space that it claims as its own territory.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:34 am

I have never seen a humingbird in real life before... but I have watched them on TV, I never realized that they were chasing eachother!

Wow! I did not know that they were so protective!.. Thankyou Wolf.
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Postby liz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 am

Only one male can go to a feeder. The females all seem to get along but if there is a fight you need a second feeder. I gave my mom a feeder and she ended up with 5 to keep the peace.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Chantilly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:10 am

That is very interesting.
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Return to Taming & Basic Training