Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New issue with our bird

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: New issue with our bird

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:42 am

Each and every one of our birds are unique individuals and they have their very own way of perceiving the world around them which also means that even when their reactions are similar, they are just that similar, but not the same and by careful observation we are able to learn an immense amount about how each one of them thinks and perceives the world around them. This close and careful observation will also help us to learn their body language and this is very important to both you as the care giver and to your bird as this is its primary means of communicating with us and each other. I can't say how this evolved in the species, but I can readily see and experience it validity. Try going to a concert sometime and try to converse to your friend who is more than 4 or 5 feet from you and you can experience some of how it must be to live in a flock of very loudly screaming birds or parrots and trying to hold a conversation or to even ask if your mate sees your kids wandering about.

I may have side tracked myself just a little but the main think that I wanted to express is that they each one of then have a lot to tell us about themselves if we will just learn to listen with our eyes as well as with our ears. Despite all of our much vaulted knowledge parrots are one area that we know very little about and most of what we do know has come about in the last 20 to 25 years, so there is no such a thing as a parrot expert, unless one cares to listen to the only one that does know much about them, the parrot itself.

I live with my birds and am constantly watching them and trying to understand what they are saying to each other and to me. They are very honest and they very much seem to appreciate my being honest with them. For example if I go outside to work on some project and I don't tell them either what I an doing and that I will be back soon to check on them, they will very often start screaming for me in just a very few minutes, but if I tell them what I am up to, they very often will yell for me once if I have not come back in about 30 minutes and as long as I answer and check on them in the next 30 minutes or so all is good. Again if I don't honestly tell them they will scream and scream for me the whole time I am outside.

I never, ever try to deceive my birds or to trick them except for when we are playing together, it would be pointless any way since they are so good at reading our body language that they always know if what we say is not true. And with their level of intelligence not only do they know, they understand and mine all seem to resent it when someone says anything around them that is not true. I also watch them for their input with any person who comes into our home as they seem to tell me if the persons words and body language are not in agreement. They have so much to share with us and not just about themselves if we will just develop a loving, and honest and trusting relationship with them and of course if we will just listen to them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training