Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training Mango

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Training Mango

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Should I move on to training Mango now he is much more used to my presence now and I think we have built up a lot of progress just by talking I find talking works with all my birds like they don't know what I'm saying but sometimes if I say stop doing something they stop.I don't know what type of training to do though like teaching step up or is there something I should do before that?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Training Mango

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:49 pm

I really don't know how others do things but the first things that I like my birds to learn are the step up, the come to me and go to your cage or perch. These are all very good living with the human type of thing. I think that you can see how these three things can make life with your birds easier for both of you. I also think that these three need to be started using a treat but that the treat for them be eliminated as soon as possible. After the step up I usually progress to target training, which can be useful in helping to teach the bird to come when called or to teach it to go to its cage or a perch when requested. From there I would begin the nice to know but not needed things such as spin, roll over, play dead and so on.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:56 am

Its hard to teach step up when he wont take treats and is afraid of hands lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:56 am

Indeed it is and that has been what I have been saying all along with any bird. The first thing that you must do is win the birds trust and without it you have nothing. If the bird does not trust you then it will never bond with you and it will not want to be with you, it will avoid you and you really can't train a bird like that. I would suggest that you work on winning the birds trust first off.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Wolf wrote:Indeed it is and that has been what I have been saying all along with any bird. The first thing that you must do is win the birds trust and without it you have nothing. If the bird does not trust you then it will never bond with you and it will not want to be with you, it will avoid you and you really can't train a bird like that. I would suggest that you work on winning the birds trust first off.

Thats exactly what I am having trouble with I don't know how to earn his trust and I should know because I tamed all my birds.I think I should start keeping records of how I tamed each of my birds so if I get another ill know what to do.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:13 am

OK, it is just after one am here right now and I am very tired but I will return and type out how to go about this tomorrow after I get up and get the chance to do so.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training