Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Almost There

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Almost There

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Mango has been flying over to my bed a lot lately and is less likely to fly away when I approach him and I even fed him a little bit of pizza crust today I left it on top of the cage next to him he didnt fly away he just moved back away from my hand and then went to get the pizza when I went back to my bed.So this shows he is also less scared of my hand than he was before.I have a feeling he will be tame very soon.I also want to get him a green harness and another flight suit for Summer, my birds go out almost everyday during the Summer holidays.Mango has been known to steal food from the others like one time Cracker was here on Tiko's cage with pizza in her foot and Mango walks over and just takes it from her lol.Also Mango learned to bathe in the water bowl and he gave himself a bath yesterday.I am very happy with the progress we are making with no work involved lol.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Almost There

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm

One of the best pats of training is how much of it you do not need to do once you have actually trained the first one or two. This appears to work as well in my birds as it does with all of my other animals. They understand each other much better than we do and will very often pick up on any training that we have done from the older or previously trained animal with us just having to fine tune it. I know that it is the lazy persons way of training as it takes so much less effort, but it seems to work just as well and much faster than what we do with less stress for the newer animal so I always allow my older animals to assist me in the training of the newer or younger animal. It is often just a matter of playing with the trained animal while the other one is watching until it starts trying to join in on all the fun that the first one is having and because they want some of the attention that the other is getting. In some cases the training of the newer one also happens without us ever seeing any of it being done.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Almost There

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:52 am

I am very happy with Mango I can now stand right over him and talk to him and he dosent act nervous or move.Soon ill be able to touch him.He also mimicked a few things from Tiko like my old Lovebirds call.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Taming & Basic Training