Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tame lorikeet with bad manners

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Tame lorikeet with bad manners

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 am

Well, there are two reasons why she is the way she is. One of them is that she is clipped (I am not blaming you, I am just stating the reason) and the other is that, at her age, she still has the need for closeness and the normal and completely expected insecurity that a young animal which was created to live surrounded by the safety of a large family has when it's all alone with just members of another species for occasional company.

Clipping them deprives them of not only their natural mode of transportation but also of options (the flight or fight reaction is thwarted by the inability to fly) so, when she is in a place that feels safe and good to her, she doesn't want to leave it -that's why nothing will trick her into stepping off you. Flighted birds grow up more self-assured, well-adjusted and independent. I know that you said that you had reasons for keeping her clipped but maybe you will want to reconsider, especially since you mentioned her safety and, in reality, a clipped bird is actually less safe than a flighted one (we can elaborate on this, if you are interested).

Now, as to the constant clinging... she will outgrow it. Lories are not really true companion birds so as she gets sexually mature and older, she will become more independent and even a bit aloof with you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training