Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How To Overcome One Person Parrot Aggression

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How To Overcome One Person Parrot Aggression

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:41 pm

My Meyers Sunny is a one person bird. I am gong to start doing more training with him. He is 16 months now and most of my training was taming and teaching him to get along with my older Red Belly. He is actually the best behaved parrot I have ever had. He is not very moody for a Poi and is actually very even tempered. He listens very well, in fact he listens better than any parrot I have ever had. If I tell him to get out of The Red Bellys cage he comes right out. He stays on all the parrot toys, of which i have a huge selection.... 3 playgrounds, and 7 big hanging toys that he can fly too. I am not sure if his being so well behaved is because he likes to get along and not make waves, or if he likes to please a lot or a combination of the two. My Red Belly likes me the best but she has formed realtionships with my hubby and my daughter and they can handle her and even pet/preen her. She is a brat though and will go on things she is not allowed too....lol...But the Meyers will not follow her to things he is not supposed to go on, he only follows her to parrot appropriate things. He actually, tells me when she is on something she shouldnt be, he will point to where she is and chirp....lol..I am going to use the clicker to train my Meyers to allow my hubby and daughter to handle him. he does not bite them usually, but he just flys away when they try to handle him now. I want him to allow them to at least step up for them and to take him from A to B.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Riyap4318 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:25 am

I got my parrots 3 months ago and I have seen many training sessions on YouTube and similar sites and I have tried many. But till now my parrots have not been tamed or may be they don't want to be. But I'd like to tame them like others. Every time I try to do so, I am rewarded with pain...
Plz help me in this matter... :irn:
Riyap4318
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Parrots
Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am

My dear, if you have budgies, you need to realize that they are not hand-fed and not imprinted to humans so you need to get them used to you, first, then get them to trust and like you BEFORE you can even start training.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby LemonyIce » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 am

My baby boy, Jigsaw, is a one person bird. He will only accept other people if I am the one who hands him to them. He will lunge at anyone who isn’t me if they try to take him off of me. He has slight cage aggression as well. He is super affectionate and cuddles with me, but I feel bad for my significant other who cannot enjoy being with him like I can. Luckily, he is getting a little better with other people. I have noticed that if I tell him to be nice before he goes to lunge at someone that he will stop. The weird thing about this, is that the person who takes care of him and sees him everyday is my significant other and not me. I have yet to move into the new place. What is it about me that made him pick me? I work at a Petco, and he was one of the birds there. He got sick at one point and I did everything that I could to help him get better. Once he was better, I got him. He has to stay with my significant other due to my current place, and has always lived with my S/O. Why has Jigsaw not taken to the person who he sees everyday and who takes care of him the majority of the time?
LemonyIce
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Dusky headed conure
Pineapple green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 am

Because monogamous species choose their mates same as people do and they fall in love with whoever they fall in love with - even if they only see that person seldom (I have two birds that love my husband even though he is home only one or two days a week). But that doesn't mean that they cannot be friendly to other people - usually, it's only birds that are overly hormonal that are aggressive to everybody else but their owner because they are not only sexually frustrated but also in chronic physical discomfort if not constant pain. Problem is, training does not take care of either the frustration or the pain...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Daminou » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 am

Wonderful that is exactly the type of information i was looking for. Now i need to get my girlfriend interested in the process lol. That is not going to be easy. Thank you for the article anyway.
Daminou
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Severe Macaw

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training