Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jenday Conure Biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Jenday Conure Biting

Postby Joshracing20 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Bought a Jenday Conure yesterday. Previous owner claims that he was tame and he flew around her house, took showers, etc. I was under the impression that he was a very sweet bird. Got him home and put him in the new cage and BAM. Instant agrression. He charges at us anytime when even pass the cage, tries to bite, and screams at us. I don't understand how a once sweet bird can turn bad in an hour. Maybe he just needs time to adjust. What are your opinions? :sun:
Joshracing20
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Conure, Green Cheek Conure, Jenday Conure, Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Jenday Conure Biting

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Yes, of course he needs time to adjust! The poor baby has lost the only home and human he has ever had and he doesn't know you from Adam! He is scared, confused and, most likely depressed and despondent and he is reacting out of fear. Parrots are not like dogs, they don't like every single human from square one, they only like the humans they know and who have been proven to be good to them. Give the poor thing some time, talk to him softly, call his name and tell him he is a good boy, a pretty bird, offer him treats, let him out to fly around, etc and don't ask for anything yet. He will come around... they all do if you show them love and patience.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Chantilly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:02 pm

I cant agree with Pajarita more. He has just lost the only people he knows... his family, his flock. He is scared and very very uncertain. Given time and that you just give him what he needs (including space to settle in) and lots of love, you will earn his trust and become his family/flock and get the loving relation you saw him have with his owner.
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby mmeager » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:04 am

Once again, as above! I agree 100%, Give him/her time, your bird is scared, and in very unfamiliar territory, he has lost his loved one, his flock, his home and everything familiar to him. One of the biggest things I have learned since owning a bird is that trust must be developed, not only the birds trust of you, but your trust in your bird. This will take time, could be days, weeks or months, probably months! But be patient, forgiving, take it slow, and allow your relationship to develop for one of the most rewarding companion's you can have!
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Return to Taming & Basic Training