Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

NEED HELP ON TRAINING MY CONURE TO GET USED TO MY HANDS!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: NEED HELP ON TRAINING MY CONURE TO GET USED TO MY HANDS!!

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:38 pm

I really meant to cover all of your questions last time but I did not, for two reasons, one was my reply was getting too long and the other is I just forgot about some of them while explaining the ones that I did cover.

Not only do I not trim my birds beaks I don't trim their nails either, instead I supply them with a variety of perches both natural and of the pumice variety that is called sweet feet as it has the pumice on two sides and the other two sides are smooth to be easy on the padded part of their feet while the parts with the pumice gently files their nails.

I would cover his cage once it is dark outside so that the light from the TV does not interfere with him sleeping, because it will even with his eyes closed as their skull is so thin that they have light receptors directly on their brains and even blind birds register the light in this manner, The sound from the TV will not bother him after he gets used to it provided that it is kept down to a minimum volume. You can always uncover the cage when you turn the TV off to go to bed yourself. The movement will probably wake him and to keep from startling him when you go to remove the cover speak to him first. He will be fine and go right back to sleep.

You need to reduce the size of the picture so that you can post it, this is not the same as cropping the picture. I might be able to tell you how to do that depending on what photo shop program you have on your computer provided that it is one that I am familiar with. Or you may be able to save the picture to one of the places such as dropbox or flicker and just post a link to the picture.

One last and very important thing that you should always keep in mind. We may indeed be more experienced than you are but we are not experts by a long shot. We will do our best to give you good suggestions and try to be as accurate as we can, but the actual amount of knowledge about parrots is very small as there were no studies done on parrots up until the 1970's so everything we know is still in its infancy. The only experts about parrots that truly exist anywhere are our parrots themselves and we don't listen to them as well as we should. Don't take anyone's word for anything about parrots, use what we say to help you to do your own research.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: NEED HELP ON TRAINING MY CONURE TO GET USED TO MY HANDS!!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 am

Yes, cover his cage once it's completely dark outside but wait for the night without any artificial lights on - so what you would do is this: turn off the light (it should be a good quality full spectrum -CRI 94+ and Ktemp between 5000 and 5500- and it should be in the ceiling fixture) when the sun is halfway down to the horizon (around 5 pm this time of the year), feed him dinner (this should be done at around 6:15 pm this time of the year and the only seed/nut meal he gets on a daily basis) and let him eat and get ready for bed. Once night falls and he is asleep (it should happen around 8 pm this time of the year), cover the cage with a black out material (make sure it's black out and that it covers the entire cage so no light manages to get inside the cage -I use this time to say Nite Nite, I love you, and give praise like 'Aww you are such a pretty bird' and stuff like that while I caress their beaks and scratch their cheeks and heads softly, it's a nice routine to have and I can tell they all love it because they not only rush to the front of the cage and hang from the bars while putting their head against them in an effort to get closer but also ask for it by saying "Nite Nite"). You can now turn on a small lamp or the TV. When you are going to go to sleep, uncover the cage (so he would be exposed to the sunrise in the morning). In the am, feed him breakfast (this should be gloop, chop, mash and raw produce) when the sun is beginning to rise (around 7 am this time of the year) and turn on the full spectrum light in the ceiling once you see sunshine rays coming into the room (around 8:30 am this time of the year).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training