Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:24 am

my sun conure sunny used to come out of his cage constantly I switched rooms with my mom ow he won't come out does he need time to adjust?? I've had him a month this coming Monday and is definitely afraid of my hands he will take a treat from them but when I move them close I go slow he still screetches real loud and moves away!! I can get face to face with him he is ok with that but I'm running out of ideas on stepping up training and why he won't come out hardly the cage door is always open!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP I WANT A LOVING BOND WHERE HE WANTS TO BE WITH ME!!! THANK YOU!!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:17 pm

Moving to a new room is nearly the same to a parrot as moving to a new house if the bird is not accustomed to the new room and so, yes, he will need time to adjust to the new environment. Try offering your closed fist or your forearm for him to step up on.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:04 am

Bring his highest perch up as close to face level as you can. They are not afraid of faces.

As far as he knows you moved him into another world just after bringing him to your world. One month is really not time enough for him to learn to trust you.
Think about it. If a giant, who may want to eat you, took you from everything you know and put you in his big scare world you would be in shock. Then the giant moved you into another world before you could learn his language to ask him why. You would be fearful and paranoid.

Example: Rambo was a go go bird before I got him. His human took him everywhere and he learned to enjoy it to the point of showing excitement when asked if he wanted to go bye bye.
It has been 11 months since I moved to Florida. Myrtle was scared but adjusted by hanging on me every waking hour and even sleeping with me once. I knew about Rambo's go go mania and did not really pay the extra attention to him. He had become different and I chalked it up to his age. Last week a switch was flipped and Rambo became Rambo again. It took him that long to adjust. He is back to roaming the house and looking for trouble to get into. He is back to talking a lot and will also ask questions. He got his first pizza crust since we have been here and told me how much he liked it with yum yum noises.

Go back to first day home with him. Let him watch you and hear you while doing anything you can in your room. Talk to him even if you have to read a book aloud. He has to watch you while you are not paying attention to him to learn about you.

When you have to get into his cage keep your hands palm down. When you talk to him keep your hands out of sight. Leave his cage door open. When he is finely brave enough to climb to the top you will know that he is trying to adjust.
You took in a scared orphan. With the second move his personality went to that of being a war orphan. It will take a while but with trust he will become your baby.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:12 pm

I am not clear if you've had the bird for a month or if you've had the bird in your room for a month? Can you clarify? Because the answer depends on which one it is...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 am

Sorry I've only had him a month!! I know he's going to have an amazing personality and he's real talkative!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby liz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 am

liz wrote:Bring his highest perch up as close to face level as you can. They are not afraid of faces.

As far as he knows you moved him into another world just after bringing him to your world. One month is really not time enough for him to learn to trust you.
Think about it. If a giant, who may want to eat you, took you from everything you know and put you in his big scare world you would be in shock. Then the giant moved you into another world before you could learn his language to ask him why. You would be fearful and paranoid.

Example: Rambo was a go go bird before I got him. His human took him everywhere and he learned to enjoy it to the point of showing excitement when asked if he wanted to go bye bye.
It has been 11 months since I moved to Florida. Myrtle was scared but adjusted by hanging on me every waking hour and even sleeping with me once. I knew about Rambo's go go mania and did not really pay the extra attention to him. He had become different and I chalked it up to his age. Last week a switch was flipped and Rambo became Rambo again. It took him that long to adjust. He is back to roaming the house and looking for trouble to get into. He is back to talking a lot and will also ask questions. He got his first pizza crust since we have been here and told me how much he liked it with yum yum noises.

Go back to first day home with him. Let him watch you and hear you while doing anything you can in your room. Talk to him even if you have to read a book aloud. He has to watch you while you are not paying attention to him to learn about you.

When you have to get into his cage keep your hands palm down. When you talk to him keep your hands out of sight. Leave his cage door open. When he is finely brave enough to climb to the top you will know that he is trying to adjust.
You took in a scared orphan. With the second move his personality went to that of being a war orphan. It will take a while but with trust he will become your baby.

A month is only long enough for quarantine. You took him from the only world he knew. I did not reread the post but even a bird that comes from a bad place will feel this way. You put him in your world and then you move him again. A room is a world to a non socialized bird.
Go back and start from the beginning as if you just brought him home.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 am

Please go look in this link viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15376 this is one of the other topics that you started and on the second page of it I go through the steps to take to hand tame your bird as well as providing you with a link to step up and target training to help you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training