Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

NEED SOME ADVICE ON HAND TAMING MY SUN CONURE PLEASE PLEASE!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

NEED SOME ADVICE ON HAND TAMING MY SUN CONURE PLEASE PLEASE!

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 am

I really need some ADVICE/TIPS IN HAND TAMING my sun conure SUNNY?? IVE HAD HIM OVER A MONTH HES REAL TALKATIVE and will step up for my mom but she never hardly interacts with him!!! I spend day in and day out with him as he lives in my room!! I always talk to him and he will take food/treats from my hand!! I don't cover his cage as to his biological internal clock!! he's happy cause he's always out of his cage and plays with is toys!! when I try and get him to try and let me pet him or ask him to step up he bites becomes aggressive!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? he was held by his previous over!! PLEASE HELP AS TO I WANT A VERY LOVING PLAYFUL BOND!!! THANK YOU ABY ADVICE ILL TRY!!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE ON HAND TAMING MY SUN CONURE PLEASE PLEASE!

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:10 am

He probably prefers your mam
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

so get rid of him then cause I'm not having a bird that won't interact with me!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 am

Theres no reason to get rid of him you can just teach him to behave better and he is already tame if he steps up for your mam.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 am

Slow down and pull yourself together. I know that you are frustrated and even disappointed. but acting this way is not helpful to you or to your bird and the relationship that you could have. Kiki, my Senegal ate me up for her first year with me, both of my forearms and hands were covered with scabs from her biting chunks of flesh out of me. Now she hardly ever bites me and rarely breaks the skin. By the way she was my very first parrot, and I made a lot of mistakes.

You have not done very much research into your bird and how to build a relationship with him and it shows. There are loads of information right here on the forum and in this section dealing over and over with exactly the problem that you are having and yet you have not even taken the time to read any of it. You got a bird because it was pretty and expected it to act like the type of pets that you are accustomed to, a dog or a cat. But he is a bird and is in no way like a dog or cat. We can help you with your bird and you can honestly have a wonderful relationship with the bird for the next 30 years or so, but not if you will not put in the effort or if you are going to have this type of attitude. Unless you are willing to grow up a little and take responsibility for this bird and learn about him, both you and he would be much better of if you rehome him right now.

I am here to help you with your bird or more accurately to help your bird with you. I do not like having to be harsh and do not appreciate being placed in such a position. You decide what you want and let me know. If you really want to learn, I will help you, otherwise get rid of the bird before you do it harm.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 pm

WOLF.......SORRY MAN I JUST SEE OTHER VIDEOS OF PEOPLES PARROTS LIVING THEM AND I WANT THE SAME AS HE IS MY SON ITS JUST HURTS ME THAT HES AFRAID OF ME TRYING TO TRAIN HIM THE BASICS!! I SHOULD OF SAID GET RID OF HIM CAUSE I WOULD NEVER GET RID OF UR RIGHT I DONT REALLY PUT EFFORT I JUST SIT BY HIS CAGE AND TALK TO HIM AND DOBT TRY TO GET HIM USE TO MY HANDS!! AS A NEW BIRD OWNER ITS FRUSTERATING BUT IM GOING TO START PUTTING IN ALOT OF EFFORT ON TAMING AND BONDIBG!!! THANKS!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Postby Camilo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm

SAME THING WITH MY NANDAY CONURE HOPEFULLY OUR PROBLEMS WILL BE FIXED SOON AND HES MY FIRST PARROT so I'm a noobie
Camilo
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure
Flight: No

Postby Camilo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm

but I will not give up on pacco (my nanday)
Camilo
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure
Flight: No

Postby liz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:37 pm

sunconuresunny00 wrote:so get rid of him then cause I'm not having a bird that won't interact with me!!

If that is how you feel then it would be better for the bird to have a human who likes him and cares for him instead of you who wants what you want and heck with how the bird feels.

If the bird goes to your mom he is not wild. He is scared of you. So what are you doing that makes him scared of you?
You should not pet a parrot anyway. Scratches on the head is all he needs but he is afraid of your hands.
When trying to teach a parrot trust you do not put your hand above his head. Preditors come from above. For all he knows you are trying to grab him and eat him. Keep your hands off.

Move his highest perch to face level. They are not afraid of faces. Keep you hands palm down when near him and never put your hand above his head.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 pm

I do love him I haven't been spending time trading him with treats to get closer and more comfortable I did today and he came all the way up to my arm so more working with him everyday patience is a virtue thanks for the help I love him so much I would and couldn't ever get rid of him!!! just need to stop being so lazy and work with him that's the key cause time is everything with birds!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training