Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mango:Taming

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Mango:Taming

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:08 pm

We went to a new pet store that just opened across the road from us called MaxiZoo and we got Tiko a new toy and Mango got his picture taken and also before we left Mango and I were playing for a while and he stepped up once and then was climbing on my hand himself and running around my shoulder and then he was playing with his leash and we also stopped at Iceland (A shopping store) and two women stopped me to look at Mango and he climbed up to her shoulder and they got pictures of him.He is really getting used to hands and I can now sometimes touch his wings without him running away and I can easily get the flight suit on, Oh and also he has been nibbling on foods I hold up to him and I think he knows now that I wont hurt him.Also off topic I am bird sitting two lovebirds for 2 weeks and they are coming tomorrow and their owner is going away to Spain at least ill have a good bit of loud noise lol I miss hearing loud lovebird sounds in the mornings.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Mango:Taming

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Please do not expose your birds to the lovebirds. They need to be quarantined. Also, please reconsider taking your birds to petshops, it's a dangerous practice because you don't know if there is a sick bird in there that might pass something to yours.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:Please do not expose your birds to the lovebirds. They need to be quarantined. Also, please reconsider taking your birds to petshops, it's a dangerous practice because you don't know if there is a sick bird in there that might pass something to yours.

Oh MaxiZoo has no animals just supplies and im sure you remember my lovebird troubles with Rio so I would never get another lovebird again.Thanks for your concern.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:58 pm

It appears to me that you are not understanding what Pajarita is saying so allow me to try. When you take any bird in for training or boarding, you need to keep it separate from your birds and keep them quarantined so as to protect them, yours as well as the bird taken in from diseases being transmitted from one to the other. This is the same reason that you should not take your bird to a pet store that has birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Wolf wrote:It appears to me that you are not understanding what Pajarita is saying so allow me to try. When you take any bird in for training or boarding, you need to keep it separate from your birds and keep them quarantined so as to protect them, yours as well as the bird taken in from diseases being transmitted from one to the other. This is the same reason that you should not take your bird to a pet store that has birds.

I did understand what Pajarita said and I already know that I did just reply to her and I'm sure she understood what I said.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:11 pm

OK.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:02 am

I went back yesterday and got Mango a lovely new swing and this time I brought Rocko too and they both got their pictures taken for their MaxiZoo Facebook page
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Return to Taming & Basic Training