Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Training SUCCESS!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Harness Training SUCCESS!

Postby harper97 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:14 pm

:danicing: Happy dance time! :gcc: We had a PERFECT sunny spring day for Keshet's first outdoor harness adventure. In the morning training session I got the harness on but not tightened. I held the waist strap closed with my hand and took him out for a little while to feel the cool breeze and meet the honeybees. I worked a little harder with him in the afternoon, and even though we did basketball, darts, and fetch first, he was still willing, so I pushed the envelope a bit and insisted we cinch it up. I do wish that part were not such a production with the Aviator harness, but I suppose it is the price of security.

We must have spent 30 - 45 minutes outside, snapping pictures, walking (my husband joined us for a little walk around the yard), chatting with a neighbor, and checking out the grass. I have a feeling that eventually this will actually become easy. The great outdoors beats dried papaya as a reward, especially on a perfect sunny spring day. :hatched:

Wolf, your advice on stretching the collar section was just the extra edge we needed. :thumbsup:

Sharon

harper97
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Harness Training SUCCESS!

Postby Chantilly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 pm

Congratulations and what a beautiful photo! I am really happy for you and Keshket!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:47 pm

That is absolutely wonderful for the both of you. I am so happy for the both of you, both of you deserve an extra treat for getting this far along after all of the work that you both put into it. YAY !
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby harper97 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you, Chantilly and Wolf. I hope it wasn't too much, too soon. This morning he didn't want to put his head through the collar again. It's another beautiful day here, so I will try again this afternoon. If I have to back up again I'll accept that. This bird could outlive me; there is time.
harper97
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Sometimes that is how it works... one step forward and two steps back.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Awww, look at the pretty baby with its momma! :danicing: Wonderful news! Nothing is better for a bird than sunshine! But, my dear, be careful with the dried papaya, it usually has sugar and sulfites added to it and neither is good for birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby harper97 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for the wise words, Pajarita. Keshet's former owner sent him home with a mix that included dried papaya, so I knew it was a huge favorite. And I was frustrated to find that the pet store dried papaya has added sugar, so I went on Amazon and found natural dried papaya. Four pounds of it, LOL. Fortunately he likes it just fine. And fortunately I also like it. :) It's more leathery and hard to break up than the sweetened, sulfited stuff, but he's worth it. :gcc:

I managed to get one more "insertion of tiny cranium through scary blue loop" this afternoon, plus a couple times through a fake loop. All is not lost.

Sharon
harper97
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Wonderful seeing a bird outside safely in a harness!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby harper97 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks, Michael. I do hope he will allow a repeat of the experience. Not so willing today or yesterday. :|

Sharon
harper97
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 am

Just be patient and keep working on this in the same way that you have been doing and he will accept the harness again, You can even practice flying him with the harness on inside of your house if that would make him feel more comfortable. If he has not been going outside in a cage and the first excursion outside was with the harness it may have scared him a little as it would be a new place for him just like when you first brought him home. So if you have a small travel cage you can take him outside in that cage to help him adjust to going outside. I don't know what his normal routines are so I thought that I would mention these two things in the hopes that one or both of them might prove to be beneficial to you and your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training