Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Training SUCCESS!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Harness Training SUCCESS!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 am

Wolf is right. Sometimes, we misread the bird's body language and mistake fear for excitement (very easy to do as their body language is so very different than mammals) so the best thing is always to do things very gradually starting with just a few minutes of something new and slowly increasing the duration so the bird has time to realize on its own that there is nothing to fear.

Good job on the papaya!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:10 am

I am not sure that it is that we misread the body language, although that might be the only term to actually describe what we do.

We see the body language that denotes that the bird is in an excited state and just accept that this is all that it means and because it is what we want we don't look at it any further. We sort of block out the fact that fear is a very excited state, so many times we overlook this possibility unless the bird goes into a state of absolute terror and either freezes like a statue or panics and can only think of escape. We forget to consider that this excitement is likely fear if the bird is not accustomed to the thing that is going on. We should always keep it in the forefront of out thinking so that we can recognize that the reason for the excitement is fear and not joy when whatever we are doing with the bird is new to it or in a new place that it is not accustomed to being in. Maybe we should have a little tattoo on the inside of our eyelids to remind us that when a bird is placed in a new situation that it first reaction is that of fear, not excitement. :lol:
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:12 am

:lol: Well, I much rather have a teleprompter than a tattoo in the inside of my eyelid -sheesh, just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby harper97 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 am

LOL, thanks, Wolf and Pajarita, for the encouragement. We went out twice that first day, and the second time I gave in to the impulse to stop and introduce him to the lady next door, and we talked past the time when Keshet was trying to tell me he'd had enough. I have a pretty good idea that I did overwhelm him. Good idea on the cage excursions. I've backed the harness training way up. Not pushing it too much. May be weeks before we can try actually wearing it again, as he is skittish about putting his head through. I think it's more the harness itself than the outdoor experience, though I guess it could be a little of both.

Sharon
harper97
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:08 am

I am sure it is both, Sharon. People usually don't take into consideration that parrots are not explorers like cats or bred for thousands of generations to depend on humans like dogs. They are born, live and die in the same familiar territory and are always surrounded by a huge extended family starting with never leaving their parents side for months and months (macaws do it for the first 4 years of their lives) after they leave the nest so, to them, strange people and strange places are very disturbing... they feel vulnerable, insecure and fearful so easy does it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby harper97 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Excellent points, Pajarita. I'm sure I have not choice but to do it slowly now. Frustrating, but we'll just keep at it in a low-key way. He begs for basketball. Maybe eventually he'll bug me for outings. :)
harper97
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:07 pm

You might have to trick him at the beginning and, of course, you will have to start with VERY short outings and increase the duration VERY gradually but, as long as you do it at his pace and watch him very carefully so you bring him in as soon as you see he is beginning to get anxious, he'll be fine. But, now, the first thing you need to do is get him used to his harness again (lots of good advice on the site if you search for it).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm

I have ordered an aviator harness, and my Red Belly Gaugan, has never had a problem putting on the one i had bought for her before but , she did not like wearing it and i could tell she was not comfortable. I am really hoping this harness is as comfortable as everyone says, it will be so good for her to be able to be on my shoulder here, where we live close to a large park in an unpopulated area, that is full of hawks, and eagles. I am excited about it, and cant wait for it to arrrive, but it will likely take weeks to arrrive.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training