Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need advice on cage shyness

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Need advice on cage shyness

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:33 am

Sorry guys I had to make a new account because I got a new phone but this is still the same guy with a bird named sunny but anyhow my bird step up on my shoulder but however I can't move away from its cage because he'll fly back to his cage when he steps on my shoulder I give him a treat and I try to hold on to the treat :sun: and back up a little bit from the cage was on my shoulder but I can only take a step back and flies right back to his cage any advice will help thank you
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Need advice on cage shyness

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 pm

:lol: My advice is: Don't step away from the cage.

You seem to be too impatient about things, you want results immediately and, I am sorry to say, that does NOT work with parrots -and I don't mean your parrot, specifically, but any and all parrots. It takes about two years to get a parrot to feel completely comfortable with a new home, diet, routine, human, etc. so I suggest you take it easy and forget about any expectations you might have. Parrots are not easy pets to keep, they require A LOT of work and patience.

I would also caution you about what you ask of him in the first few months because this time is the foundation for your entire relationship with him and, if you screw up and alienate him, it will take twice as long and three times as hard work as if you do things right.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Oh okay is it alright for me to ask him to step up and just stay by the cage? And the only other thing that I asked him to do it speak the words he already knows but thanks for your advice it really helps I do have patience but I was just confused because some people on here with replying and saying 2 months 3 months 6 months but I know you got experience with Birds so you're saying two years so I will let him be him and just talk to him again thank you
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:29 am

I think that, most likely, when people say 2, 3 or 6 months they are talking about what we call 'the honeymoon period' and not the bird been 100% comfortable and secure it its new environment and bond with its human. With parrots, everything takes forever and a day and, when you think everything is now good, that this is it in terms of behavior and that you finally got all your ducks in a row they do something that is completely out of character! It's very frustrating, actually. I have found that most parrots take about 2 years to find what I call 'their place in the flock'. It's a gradual thing and you need to be very observant to notice the changes because they are very subtle after the first few months but they do happen.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Oh okay now that makes more sense because the people that that had him before me had them for 4 years so yeah I guess that wouldn't make a lot of sense thank you for your advice like I said I'm a new bird owner and I just want the best for him and not to be scared of me
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:02 pm

And it will happen as long as you show him respect, patience and love. Parrots NEED physical attention so it's just a matter of us showing them that we are nothing but the 'bringers of love' and that there is nothing for them to fear about us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Taming & Basic Training