Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wiki | Help on training.

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Wiki | Help on training.

Postby Faraaz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

My cockatiel Wiki, is about 1 1/2 years old. We purchased him from our local bird store who hand fed her and she was great when she first got here.

For the past 6 months or so, Wiki has been screaming for attention and has been biting a lot when we try to put her back in the cage. It has come to the point where my family and I are considering giving her to someone else which I am reluctant to do.

How can I get this bird to stop screaming to get out of the cage? We take her out for 1-2 hours a day and let her sit on us.

How do we resolve this biting problem? She only bites when she doesn't want to go back into her cage.

Best Regards,
Faraaz
Faraaz
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Wiki | Help on training.

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:12 am

Please consider that cockatiels are very social birds and they are also extremely flock oriented, and they depend on the closeness of their human and/ or their flock for a large portion of their sense of security and well being. One or two hours a day is just not enough time to spend with a bird that was meant to be with other every minute of every day from the time of birth until it dies. The bird really needs a minimum of four hours a day of out of cage time to fly and exercise as well as to spend with you. It is no wonder that it is biting when you want to put it back in its cage. So I would recommend that you either increase the time spent with the bird or that if this is not feasible that you consider getting it a mate of the same age or at least one that is already an adult as well. I believe that if the cage is actually large enough to house two birds that either two males or a bird of the opposite sex would be able to use the same cage after the quarantine period is over and introductions are made to insure that they are getting along. Also you can give the bird a treat when you return it to its cage.

I hope that this helps you and your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 am

I am not sure if you are posting about a budgie (on your avatar and description) or a cockatiel (on the text of your posting) but, if you are indeed, asking about a female cockatiel, the ONLY time they call and call and call non-stop is when they are hormonal and alone. Female cockatiels that are kept to a solar schedule (so they don't get overly hormonal) and have mates/companions hardly ever make a sound.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:51 pm

I think your male Cocktiel just needs more time out of the cage. Cockatiels need at least 4 hours, just as Pajairta says. Is there some way you could work that in somehow?
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Faraaz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Wolf wrote:Please consider that cockatiels are very social birds and they are also extremely flock oriented, and they depend on the closeness of their human and/ or their flock for a large portion of their sense of security and well being. One or two hours a day is just not enough time to spend with a bird that was meant to be with other every minute of every day from the time of birth until it dies. The bird really needs a minimum of four hours a day of out of cage time to fly and exercise as well as to spend with you. It is no wonder that it is biting when you want to put it back in its cage. So I would recommend that you either increase the time spent with the bird or that if this is not feasible that you consider getting it a mate of the same age or at least one that is already an adult as well. I believe that if the cage is actually large enough to house two birds that either two males or a bird of the opposite sex would be able to use the same cage after the quarantine period is over and introductions are made to insure that they are getting along. Also you can give the bird a treat when you return it to its cage.

I hope that this helps you and your bird.

Pajarita wrote:I am not sure if you are posting about a budgie (on your avatar and description) or a cockatiel (on the text of your posting) but, if you are indeed, asking about a female cockatiel, the ONLY time they call and call and call non-stop is when they are hormonal and alone. Female cockatiels that are kept to a solar schedule (so they don't get overly hormonal) and have mates/companions hardly ever make a sound.

seagoatdeb wrote:I think your male Cocktiel just needs more time out of the cage. Cockatiels need at least 4 hours, just as Pajairta says. Is there some way you could work that in somehow?

Okay thanks for the advice. Does she need all four hours to interact? Should I buy some perches and let her sit on there? How can I teach her to stay put on those perches?

Pajarita wrote:I am not sure if you are posting about a budgie (on your avatar and description) or a cockatiel (on the text of your posting)

Sorry, haven't posted on this forum in like forever. I have updated my desc :)
Faraaz
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Parrots that flock in big flocks are really needing 4 hours of interaction. You can just have her sitting on you, have toys and perches, anything the parrot likes is positive interaction. The parrot may even like adventuring around the room.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Taming & Basic Training