Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Update on Tiko

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Update on Tiko

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Tiko was gonna step up twice for me and then put one foot on my hand and tried to bite and my hand is bleeding just from her nails touching me lol.I tried again later and she snapped at me but didn't get me and her feathers were raised but the first time her feathers were normal and she was happy and talking and did look like she wanted to step up, Maybe I should have let her beak get to me to see if it really was a bite or her just testing.What do you guys think?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Update on Tiko

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 am

From your description it was not a test.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Wolf wrote:From your description it was not a test.

I think she was testing at first but then when she was in her cage she probably got territorial.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

Grays are not what I would call a 'social' bird when it comes to humans. They are VERY nice to their chosen human and want nothing more in life than to ride their shoulders and spend the entire day on them but, when it comes to other people, they would much rather they didn't get too close. Personally, I would try to win her over by spending time with her and offering her treats (I would have breakfast with her sharing the food, sing and dance for her, etc)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Pajarita wrote:Grays are not what I would call a 'social' bird when it comes to humans. They are VERY nice to their chosen human and want nothing more in life than to ride their shoulders and spend the entire day on them but, when it comes to other people, they would much rather they didn't get too close. Personally, I would try to win her over by spending time with her and offering her treats (I would have breakfast with her sharing the food, sing and dance for her, etc)

Yeah I do all that.She stepped up for me but then sort of bit me but it will more like holding on to get fully on my hand but I wasn't expecting it and I moved her back on to the cage so it was kind of a success.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 am

Well, if you already do it, it's just a matter of keep on doing it until she 'gives in'. With parrots, you need to win them over with sheer persistence...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:55 am

Pajarita wrote:Well, if you already do it, it's just a matter of keep on doing it until she 'gives in'. With parrots, you need to win them over with sheer persistence...

She stepped up yay so proud of her.She steps up from the back not the front.I gave her a nice reward after it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Thats so funny, but however she likes to do it, its progress....lol
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:38 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:Thats so funny, but however she likes to do it, its progress....lol

Lol she stepped up about 5 times today.Sometimes when I was asking her she was running away.She is so heavy and looks so small lol.I knew she was just testing my hand no matter how bad the description looked lol.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sun May 01, 2016 7:59 am

I really doubt that she was testing anything, that it is just like her running away from you that she was trying to tell you, No, that she does not trust you enough. She does know you and is trying to trust you and she does not want to bite in order to say no. They can be forced to actually bite, but Greys are really very gentle birds. so they try to avoid biting most of the time. This chasing her around causing her to run from you is a flooding tactic and really should not be used as it does not foster trust.

I really hesitated in giving this reply as I already know that your response will be that this is not happening, it is your bird, you don't flood, I don't know either you or your bird, I am not there so my opinion is worthless, and lastly it is your bird. But am trying to help Tiko anyway.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training