Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to tame my senegal parrot ?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to tame my senegal parrot ?

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Also, my mom's 'toos do end up at birdsitters for a couple of weeks when she had to go to Germany. They don't quite have the same schedule, don't have the same amount of time out, but they do fairly well. They do come out though (some places don't really allow this, sadly).

She's got them used to being in for longer periods of times because of situation like these; while she could let them out all day, she's fully aware that not everyone could and therefor has them in during the day just in case she does have to leave for longer periods of time or if she does need to re-home them (they will most likely outlive her). And when she knows she's about to leave, she does slowly extend the time in the cage a couple of weeks before her departure so they can ease into it.

It's all about getting used to it gradually, which can also apply to Pois.

I do think Pois are more adaptable than 'toos but they still need to be eased into transition.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby bomber11 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:37 pm

well i didn't put a mirror inside its cage , but there's a mirror in the room so whenever i let my parrot out of the cage it runs to the mirror & sits there , even in the other room it runs to the corner & never moves , i'm not familiar with birds's behaviors but it's normal if my parrot doesn't walk around & sits in the corner right?

plus i think my parrot doesn't like stayin in its cage , sometimes it tries to get out of the cage , i would let'em out but i dunno cuz as i said it just sits in one place n doesn't move around,,,
bomber11
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Well he's probably still getting to know his environment.
That corner of the cage probably became familiar for him and he's probably still getting to know the rest.
Depending on the bird, they adjust to new settings more or less quickly. A lot has to do with how they were socialized as babies; were they aloud to go different places, get to hear different sounds and see different sights? Some breeders make sure they get their babies used to as many different things as possible and these birds tend to adapt faster.

Did you get him from a pet store? If you got him there, there is a chance that he didn't get to be as socialized as well.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Do you think the mirror problem is the same as having two parrots or worse? Which is more detrimental to the human-bird relationship?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MissLady9902 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 pm

I had my budgie Chicken by himself for a while. He had a mirror in his cage and he would snuggle up next to it and jibber-jabber at it for hours on end.
We always refered to his reflection as that guy. I think the reason he didn't pick up much on talking was becaused he was always speaking budgie talk to his
reflection in the mirror. That's why when I got my other budgie we named him That Guy. :)
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Mona » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm late on this topic, but how is the baby Senegal doing?

I honestly think (and others may have different experiences) that the first week with a new Senegal is much different from how that bird will be the rest of its life. The first week they can be initially fearful and I have seen almost phobic startle flights. The best advice is to give the bird its own space. Let the bird come to you...and when they do come to you, be quiet and gentle and reassuring.

After that first week, look out! After they understand their surroundings and their new "flock" they are completely different little birds. :senegal:
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey