Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to tame my senegal parrot ?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to tame my senegal parrot ?

Postby bomber11 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:15 am

hi

i just got my 5 months senegal parrot , everytime i get him out of his cage he just goes to the corner & sits there , everytime i try to get close & touch him he tries to bite me but then he lets me do it , he rarely step up on my hand n when he does it he just goes up to my shoulder then fly down to the ground , i tried 2 give him a treat whenever i touch him or whenever he steps up on my hand but he doesn't want to eat , so any certain ways to make him feel more comfortable ?

n thanks alot
bomber11
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: How to tame my senegal parrot ?

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 am

Just got? How recently do you mean? If it's been one day, I'd say leave the bird alone. If it's been a few days, it's probably time to take it out and start interacting with it.

As much as people are excited when they get a new bird, I think it's best to leave the bird alone for the first day or two you get it and then when the bird is less stressed, take it out.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:53 am

You are going to have to start making its time spent outside of the cage much more rewarding so that it can learn that coming out is a good thing. Since it's a baby parrot it is still very flexible and unfamiliar so you still have time to teach it. If it was hand raised, you can probably just reach in the cage and grab it. Take it out and let it sit on a perch away from cage near you. Most hand raised parrots are step up trained as well. Put your finger across and in front/slightly above its feet, say step up, and gently nudge its belly.

Give it treats and attention when it is out of the cage. Once you get past initial familiarization stages you can clicker condition and target train it. We had an extensive discussion about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=131
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby bomber11 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 am

thx alot Kathleen & Michael :)
& yah Kathleen it's his second day here , yesterday i left him in the cage , today i brought him up 2 times , he seemed a bit afraid in the 1st time , the 2nd time he seemed more comfortable , he was lookin at himself in the mirror & cleaning himself but still refuses to step up on my hand,,,

@ Michael
thx alot :) , well as i mentioned up i brought him 2 times today , &i guess gonna leave him in the cage n bring him up every once in a while 2 make him more comfortable :)

thanks again ppl ;)
bomber11
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Kathleen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:13 am

It's only been the second day so don't worry too much. The bird is just getting used to its new home.

I personally am against using mirrors in bird cages (many other owners are as well). The bird starts bonding to its reflection and thinks there is another bird there instead of bonding to its owner. It's up to you but your bird may want nothing to do with you and may become obsessed with the mirror.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm in agreement with what has been said, definitely give your new bird a chance to settle in. A lot of new stuff is going on for him, new cage, new surroundings, new sounds...

Start by sitting close to him, talking softly (either just talking or reading), maybe with the cage door open, but don't force him to come out. Just be around without forcing yourself on him.

Also agree on Kathleen about not having mirrors in cage..and in this case, is the mirror you have strong enough to resist the beak of a Senegal?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes, but certainly do not miss this excellent opportunity to become a vital part of your bird's life. The worst mistake a new owner can make is to ignore and avoid the bird completely for the first weeks or months. It is very good to build a good human to bird bond with the bird. If you aren't a part of your birds new beginning in your home, it will bond more to its cage and area rather than to human and cause more trouble bonding in the future.

This does not mean forcing the bird or giving it too much attention, but certainly becoming a familiar component of its environment and daily life. But definitely don't give it more daily attention than you are prepared to give for the rest of its life.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Michael wrote:This does not mean forcing the bird or giving it too much attention, but certainly becoming a familiar component of its environment and daily life. But definitely don't give it more daily attention than you are prepared to give for the rest of its life.

So so so so very important.
Lots of people would benefit from this...specially those with cockatoos. How many times have i heard people giving the babies soooo much attention because it was cute and cuddly then the birds grows older and looses some of the "novelty" and it gets less attention. This is really bad with 'toos, I think they take this worst than many other birds.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Are you saying that if a baby too was raised on 2 hours attention per day tops but with lots of toys and things to do, you think it can grow up and continue living on relatively low attention? Would it be able to handle folks going on a vacation then or still not? I hear toos all but kill themselves if their people leave for a while but is that the kind of bird or improper raising that leads to that?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:00 pm

I think routine is very important with 'toos, more so than with any birds, based on what I've seen.

I look at my mom's birds and they do get time out and they do get daily attention, but they are also used to being in their cages and having to entertain themselves. At first, some of them would scream the moment we stepped away (none of her 'toos were babies btw). The moment they realized that they would be in for a bit and then come back out regularly, they stopped. They will, however, scream if they are in longer than they usually are. Not right away, but they know if they've been in for much longer.

She got one that was chewing his feathers. He has stopped. He gets a bit more attention, but not that much, but his schedule is definitively more regular.

If they know what to expect, regardless of it being 2, 4 or 6 hours of attention, they tend to do better. The regularity of it seems to be much more important than the amount. However, I wouldn't get a 'too if I couldn't at least promise it 4 hours out of it's cage per day and at least 1 or 2 hours of undivided attention.

My birds are also on a routine, although I do try to make it vary a bit so that they aren't set in stone. The time out doesn't vary that much, but when it is can vary. It is also why I try to make it different on the week-end.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training