Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

JUST GOT NEW BUDGIE AND NEED ADVICE

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

JUST GOT NEW BUDGIE AND NEED ADVICE

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I got a new budgie last Monday and she has a great personality her name is sky because she is sky blue and my sun conure name is sunny so I have sunny sky!! She steps up a little a lot better than sunny does as he don't at all!! I was wondering can u do target clicker training with budgies?? I researched that budgies can be one of the easiest species to hand tame and she isn't doing to bad for only having her for a week!! Just need some training and bonding advice I know it takes lots of patience which I have learned with sunny and can they have human food as well?? And are they fruit eaters or veggies?? And what's millet?? Sorry for so many questions and THANKS FOR THE HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!! I tried to post pictures but it says its too large how do I make them smaller so I can post pics???
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: JUST GOT NEW BUDGIE AND NEED ADVICE

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Budgies are not big on eating fruits but they do love cooked whole grains mixed with finely chopped veggies and they LOVE leafy greens. If she is stepping up after a single week with you, she must be clipped because a healthy and fully flighted budgie would never take only a few days to become tame.

Millet is a small, round soft grass grain (it comes in different colors -white, yellow, red). Budgies like it a lot but it's not the healthiest thing you can feed them (not nutritious enough and higher in carbs than other grains) so it's only recommended as a treat.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: JUST GOT NEW BUDGIE AND NEED ADVICE

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:54 pm

And yes she was clipped when I got him but I did buy Sam millet for him
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training