Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 6 MONTH OLD BUDGIE NEED HELP

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 6 MONTH OLD BUDGIE NEED HELP

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:56 am

I recently bought a six month old budgie it is a male but I was wondering if somebody on here could give me bonding steps so I can get him to step on my finger and take treats from my hand and not be scared of my hands I know it does take time but I figured since he's so young I could start now what can I eat cuz I tried to give him fruit and you want to eat it maybe it's just cuz he's getting used to his environment I've only had him a week ago Thursday so if anybody could please help me out on some painting and bonding I would really appreciate it thank you
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 6 MONTH OLD BUDGIE NEED HELP

Postby liz » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:20 am

My opinion: 1 put his cage in the room you are in the most. 2 Give him a perch that would put him up to your face level. They are afraid of hands and not faces. 3 Do not attempt to touch him until he starts coming to you. 4 Eat with him. In the wild eating is a social thing. Share what is in your plate that he can have. 5 Give him plenty of time to watch you when you are not paying attention to him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:51 am

Liz was right on the money on the advice and, if you follow it and are VERY patient, he will get used to you. Now, I apologize in advance if I am making the wrong assumption and you already know this but budgies are not babies at 6 months of age (the smaller the species, the sooner they become adults and the harder it is to 'tame' them when they are not handfed) and they don't like fruits so offering them is not really going to convince him of eating them. Try giving him little pieces of a millet spray as a treat from your fingers and, as far as diet goes, they do love gloop and leafy greens but they also adore corn on the cob and baked sweet potatoes so I would start by offering him those things.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:52 pm

Okay thank you for all the replies that was all good information that I didn't know and I'm doing exactly what was said to do I sit and talk to him in front of his cage and he just listens but earlier he kind of let me pet him a little bit but I didn't push it too hard but I'm not going to try to text you anymore for about 2 weeks unless he comes to me thank you
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training