Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help whit IRN step up training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Need help whit IRN step up training

Postby Erfan771 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:42 am

You know as I told I bought him when he was eight months old and he was handfeed but I don't think that the previous owner handled him much then I had him for a year now and in that period I didn't knew this forum and didn't knew any training ways so I just left his cage open all the time I been at home and at the beginning he was very scared but whit time he got used to us and when we used to eat food he leaves his cage and come to us to get some, sometimes he eat whit us from the plate and he got used to take food from my hand but as I said I never knew how to handle him till I find Michaels guide so after I red it i closed his cage and don't let him come out for his own and start making two training sessions one in the morning and one in the evening a day
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Quaker parrot and budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 am

Actually I would do a training session in the mornings and then one in the afternoon, but except for those I would leave his cage door open whenever I am there to keep a watch on him. Mostly I do very little training other than that which is required for us to live together in some sort of harmony. My birds like having the choice to go in and out of their cages at will and I enjoy them having the choice. I have not read Michael's book, but I think that he is probably speaking of when you are training your bird to step up for you to come out of their cage. I don't even reach into their cage any more than I need to, mostly for cleaning it, and wait for them to come out and to either climb to the top of the cage or top of the main door or onto a perch that is placed on the outside of the cage. Once they come out I may either call to them to come to me or I ask them to step up.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Yes, that's what I would do, too, as long as the bird enjoys the training session and doesn't only do it for the rewards. I don't ever do any training sessions, I just give them freedom from the cage, keep them company, praise them, give them treats and, whenever the occasion rises that they need some correcting ("Be nice!" "Go home!" "Stop it!" etc) , transporting ("Step up!" "Step down") or whatever I need them to do ("Excuse me" "Move away", etc), I ask them and show them which is the response I expect -and, when they do it, I praise them and scratch their heads. Sometimes it takes a while but, eventually, it always works for me. I have very content, loving and obedient birds that trust me pretty implicitly (and if I have a single problem is convincing them to get off me, not on me :lol: )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Erfan771 wrote:You know as I told I bought him when he was eight months old and he was handfeed but I don't think that the previous owner handled him much then I had him for a year now and in that period I didn't knew this forum and didn't knew any training ways so I just left his cage open all the time I been at home and at the beginning he was very scared but whit time he got used to us and when we used to eat food he leaves his cage and come to us to get some, sometimes he eat whit us from the plate and he got used to take food from my hand but as I said I never knew how to handle him till I find Michaels guide so after I red it i closed his cage and don't let him come out for his own and start making two training sessions one in the morning and one in the evening a day

If he was handfed before then it sounds like you are progressing well. What Wolf said is one way to train a parrot. The way you are doing it is good too, since his out time is also his training time it could improve your bond faster.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:21 am

He is not having success with his method, Seagoatdeb, that's why he posted here.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erfan771 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 am

Actually I have had success whit this method :

He's become more tame even when I towel him he won't bite me although he gets nervous but before I couldn't towel him without getting bit hard

He learned the target training, he will move trough the whole cage or training area to touch the stick

He steps on my hand on command the only problem that he step down immediately I thought that there must be another way to teach him to stay longer and I'm trying out something now when he steps on my hand I delay giving him the treat so I hope this will work but overall I had good success whit Michaels guide
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Quaker parrot and budgies

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Pajarita wrote:He is not having success with his method, Seagoatdeb, that's why he posted here.

Oh okay i thought he had been using Michaels methods, and was having sucess, but just wanted the best advice at one of the hump places in that training, and you were taking him wrong...lol....
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Erfan771 wrote:Actually I have had success whit this method :

He's become more tame even when I towel him he won't bite me although he gets nervous but before I couldn't towel him without getting bit hard

He learned the target training, he will move trough the whole cage or training area to touch the stick

He steps on my hand on command the only problem that he step down immediately I thought that there must be another way to teach him to stay longer and I'm trying out something now when he steps on my hand I delay giving him the treat so I hope this will work but overall I had good success whit Michaels guide

That sounds like a good plan for getting him to stay longer. Let us know how it works.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Well, I apparently misunderstood what was needed. The waiting a bit longer before giving the bird the treat is what I would do and maybe while at it show the bird that I have another treat for it after giving it the first one and then offer the second treat to the bird when it appears like it is getting ready to fly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:18 am

I still think that toweling the bird to get him out of the cage is the wrong thing to do. It's flooding and flooding is no longer recommended - not even Michael recommends doing this with an adult bird that has not been inured to the towel. He has a video showing how you can get the bird used to been toweled without any flooding (stress) but you need to start with a bird that trusts you 100%, otherwise the bird would just fly away from you when you try to do it.

See this: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=par ... &FORM=VIRE
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training