Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help whit IRN step up training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Need help whit IRN step up training

Postby Erfan771 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi guys I'm a owner of a Indian ringneck and I never had interacted much whit my parrot until I found this forum then I used Michaels guide for parrot training and teached my parrot target training now I'm about to teach him to step up but there's something I don't get it correctly, I already achieved to let the parrot step up to the back of my hand on command but as soon as he step up and I give him the threat he step down from my hand, aswell when I move my hand up he gets scared and jump down, so what can I do so he stays on my hand because i would like to take him on my hand from the cage to the training are arrange than toweling, I hope you can help me out whit this and thanks for taking your time to answer
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Quaker parrot and budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Need help whit IRN step up training

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:24 am

Well, it seems to me that he is afraid of your hand and the toweling is, most likely, what did it. Toweling should never be used to get a bird out of a cage - it creates all kinds of problems. Birds need to be tamed BEFORE you start training them and it seems to me that yours was not quite ready when you started so, in my personal opinion, you need to go back to square one and start by taming him to your hand and, when you achieve this, then and only then resume the training.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erfan771 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 am

first thanks for your answer but you have to know that I'm not doing anything on my own but I'm following Michaels complete step by step guide for beginners on the parrot blog and that's what he saying about getting the parrot out of the cage :

There are two methods that can be used for getting a parrot out of the cage for the first time:

1) Target training
2) Force out & reconcile

TIP

Except for the initial training, do not let the parrot come out of the cage on its own. Always reach in and request it to step up. This will help develop a positive relationship because you will get all the credit for the thrill of being able to come out. The parrot will begin to look forward to seeing you because it will learn that you are the source of good things like coming out.

Although the first method is least stressful, it also takes a much longer time to implement. On the other hand the second method is more hands on. I would say that the force out method is safest to be used on young hand raised parrots. This can range from merely asking it to step up to toweling it out. Either way, the experience outside the cage is made so rewarding that it reconciles being forced out initially. Baby parrots are much more forgiving and less likely to bite so this method can actually work quite well and create no trauma for the bird. Most likely the parrot was already accustomed to the breeder grabbing it to feed it anyway. If you are an experienced parrot owner and not afraid of the potential of being bitten, go ahead and use the force out/reconcile method. Similar to getting the parrot out of the carrier for the first time, you can test step up, just grab the parrot, grab with a glove, or use a towel. Just get the parrot out of the cage but then give it a super rewarding time outside of the cage with additional training. I will detail the taming/training exercises to do shortly afterward.

Aswell regarding the parrots taming, Micheal first tell you in the guide to teach target training and step up than continue whit basic parrot taming (refer the guide on the parrot blog)
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 am

Yes, but, if you read carefully, you will realize he is almost specifically referring to baby hand-fed parrots and his experience is with pois, mostly - a completely different thing from what you have. You have an adult, admittedly neglected IRN and IRNs, as all psittaculas, require A LOT of expert handling on a daily basis or they revert to what people call their 'wild ways' very easily. Poicephalus are completely different from psittaculas - pois bond very deeply to their humans to the point that they are considered a one-person bird species. Psittaculas are more aviary than companion and don't bond that deeply even when you put a lot of work and time into them. It's the way nature made them... they might all be parrots but all the species have their own little quirks. Your bird is not a hand-fed eminently companion species, he is an adult aviary species that lived without proper handling for a long time and you are toweling him (which he fears and hates so it created this hand aversion problem) to get him out of his cage. So, if I were you, I would start from scratch taking into consideration the actual circumstances of your bird, namely, that is not a mild-mannered, utterly dependent hand-fed companion parrot species baby but an adult which has lost its bond with you.

My recommendation to you is to re-establish the bond first and then and only then start training it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erfan771 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Actually I bought him from my friend and he hand feeded him himself and sold him to me when he about eight months old, and I don't think that he gets too scared about the toweling because he's doing good on the training and aswell he let me touch his beak without biting me sometimes and takes threats from my hand comfortably, I think it just need a special technique to make him stay on my hand and let me carry him around...

Anyway how do I tame him then the best way in your opinio???
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Erfan771 wrote:Hi guys I'm a owner of a Indian ringneck and I never had interacted much whit my parrot until I found this forum then I used Michaels guide for parrot training and teached my parrot target training now I'm about to teach him to step up but there's something I don't get it correctly, I already achieved to let the parrot step up to the back of my hand on command but as soon as he step up and I give him the threat he step down from my hand, aswell when I move my hand up he gets scared and jump down, so what can I do so he stays on my hand because i would like to take him on my hand from the cage to the training are arrange than toweling, I hope you can help me out whit this and thanks for taking your time to answer

It just takes time and he will get more used to your hand as time goes on. He steps up to get the treat so he is not scared of your hand, and that is good progress. Just keep going the way you are and you have Michaels training to follow, and it is good. As was mentioned, Pois, are one of the favorite person parrots, so it might take you longer, but you will still get a trained parrot if you just keep following Michaels training tips.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:30 am

I don't know of any technique that actually makes a bird trust and love you... It happens but it takes time and work and, when you have already established a pattern of neglect, you need to work harder on it. Personally, I would forget about the training for a month or so and concentrate on getting him to love me. I would let him out of his cage without toweling him and just spend time with him -talking, singing, offering treats, allowing him to fly around, etc. I think that once he learns to trust you again, he will have no problem staying on your hand. The only other thing that I feel needs to be mentioned is that, in my personal experience, parrots don't really like been on hands all the time or even for long. They much rather be on your shoulder. I have no problem moving a bird from one place to the other by carrying it on my hand but it's not something that I insist on, either.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:09 pm

I think when they decide to love you, it an individual parrot thing and sometimes species related. With the two Pois i have right now, Gaguan trusted me on sight and the bond kept growing, and Sunny slowly learned trust but "fell" for me when I took him next door to my daughters to flock. i think it comes down to the bird trusting you and enjoying what you are doing with them, when they begin to love you.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am

You are absolutely correct, Seagoatdeb. But your experience is with two hand-fed poi babies that you worked with from the very beginning, the OP's bird is a rehomed psittacula that was not handled by him or its previous owner so, although the final result (falling in love with its human) is the same, the depth of the bond and the amount of time and work it will require is not the same at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Pajarita wrote:You are absolutely correct, Seagoatdeb. But your experience is with two hand-fed poi babies that you worked with from the very beginning, the OP's bird is a rehomed psittacula that was not handled by him or its previous owner so, although the final result (falling in love with its human) is the same, the depth of the bond and the amount of time and work it will require is not the same at all.

My experience is from many parrots, but perhaps you meant to say the expamples I used were two handfed baby parrots when i bought them..
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training