Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek biting issue

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Green Cheek biting issue

Postby gophynna » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks so much Wolf! Does the mash need to be heated up each time? I froze the excess as icecubes and put the rest in the fridge. How long should I heat it if needed? Going to mix the pellets in and see how she takes it then.
gophynna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Dove
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

I don't know which recipe you used but no you should not have to heat it. Just pull it out in time for it to thaw either in the refrigerator or in cold water and serve it at room temperature or since it is hot outside serve it cold. it will last in the open air if slightly cold.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:10 pm

I no longer thaw my gloop outside the fridge. I have to take it out three days in advance but it thaws always in the cold of the fridge. I used to leave it out for it to thaw but have recently changed my method.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby gophynna » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am

She loves her mash. Even if it's still a little cold. She only gets pellets as before bed meal now. I think she may be molting now. Is this part of hormones? I made a small t-perch out of pvc and medical wrap to use to get her up and down from her cage so she can spend time with me on her play gym without any bites or blood. It's working great so far.

She has started greeting my boyfriend again, but still fluffs up like a very angry bird when he gets too close. Hopefully in time...
gophynna
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 am

As long as you are in the northern hemisphere then this is the time when your bird should be molting so that suggests that your bird's endocrine system is functioning as it should be.

When you feed your bird the mash and it is time for dinner, when you give it the pellets, is there any of the mash left in the food dish? If there is some left in the dish then you are giving the bird enough, but if the birds eats it all before dinner time then you need to give it a little more of the mash. There should always be a little bit left when you change the food.

This species of parrot need a lot of personal one on one time with you to be happy, if it does not get the amount of time with you that it require, then it is more likely to be nippy. This species of bird is known for being nippy and this is most likely to be due to hormonal fluctuations and/ or not enough time with you.

Other wise everything seems to be progressing well enough and the more that your bird trusts you then the less aggressive it will be.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:16 am

Yep, molting should be happening right now so your bird is doing well in that sense - and, as the days get shorter, it will stop producing sexual hormones and this will reduce aggression greatly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby gophynna » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Usually there is a small amount left. It is not a large amount. Should I still give her more? I do not want her to starve or be hungry. She really goes to town with pellets when she gets those and can clear the whole bowl out in no time. I think she'd prefer a birdie buffet of those. With the mash her poo has become very "wet" and she started projectile pooping far enough to launch outside her cage. She has tagged my walls pretty good lately. Is there something more I can add to her mash on the next batch to firm up her bowel movement?

Wolf wrote:As long as you are in the northern hemisphere then this is the time when your bird should be molting so that suggests that your bird's endocrine system is functioning as it should be.

When you feed your bird the mash and it is time for dinner, when you give it the pellets, is there any of the mash left in the food dish? If there is some left in the dish then you are giving the bird enough, but if the birds eats it all before dinner time then you need to give it a little more of the mash. There should always be a little bit left when you change the food.

gophynna
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:31 pm

As long as there is a little left, it is enough. Same thing with the pellets, if there are some left in the dish when I remove it then that is enough.

I do not know what all is in the mash that you are feeding your bird, but you can change the ingredients in the mash to include more vegetables and less fruit, this would decrease the moisture in the mask as well as in the birds droppings.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:46 am

I don't think that more veggies and less fruit will make any difference, Wolf - because, after all, with produce, which are veggies and which are fruits? The distinction is a culinary one and not a scientific fact as most food we call veggies are actually fruits. Besides, GCCs are big fruit eaters so I would not consider reducing what is supposed to be such a big part of their natural diet (Lord knows it's hard enough trying to reproduce the percentages of the different food items they eat in the wild in captivity!). In any case -and I am not criticizing, just making a comment on something that I have noticed over and over in birdsites comments- parrots' poop is supposed to be wet - and splashy - and messy. When you feed pellets and little else, their poop is drier but that's actually not a good or even a normal thing for parrots and all it means is that the kidneys are actually suffering.

What I suggest is to screw a sheet of Plexiglas on the wall, right behind the cage. It's very easy to clean and, because it's transparent, it doesn't look 'out of place'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:29 pm

At present the only parrots that I have read about that projectile poop are those that feed on nectars, otherwise the poops themselves should be well formed, not dry or even firm just well formed with three distinct parts to it of which one is urine. I do not know if this bird is just needing to adjust to a newer wetter diet or if the bird is experiencing diarrhea. So perhaps I should have suggested a visit to the vet first off.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training