Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek biting issue

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Green Cheek biting issue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:45 am

Yes, you are correct on the 'projectile' issue but if the cage is next to a wall, you do end up, sometimes, with poop on it (and food!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:54 am

This is true, you do end up with stuff on the walls. But I think that if the party is concerned about it then we should also be concerned enough to try to find out what is going on. With this poop issue it could be no more than the birds system needing to adjust to the wetter diet or there could be a health issue that the bird needs help with. I am thinking that if reducing the moisture content just a little bit solves the problem then the bird just needs more time to adjust to the wet diet for its poops to return to normal. If it is diarrhea then reducing the moisture will not help and the bird may need medical attention.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 am

I hear you and you are 100% correct that a determination of whether is just normally wet poop or diarrhea needs to be made. But, if you observe a GCC, you will see that they poop a bit differently than other species - they lower their chest thereby raising their booty (their tail ends up in a downward angle -high at the tip and lower at the root) and, sometimes, they even back a step or two before they 'let go' so the poop tends to fly backwards... I think that's what's happening here.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 am

Since I have no GCC to observe, I will be more than happy to take your word on how they do their business. That is just one of the little, but important details that are so often overlooked when researching things about any of our birds as I am sure that you are aware. Thank you for that detail although it may take a few times before I actually retain it in my mind.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:16 am

:lol: We are all getting older, my friend! My husband says that my percentage of been right has gone down from 99 to 95 because I now tend to forget things so we might now need an encyclopedia after all! This is in reference to a private joke we've had since we were married... he keeps a little sign on his desk that is supposed to be a CL ad:

"Complete set of encyclopedia for sale.
No longer need it.
My wife knows EVERYTHING!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby gophynna » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:42 am

Pajarita is correct. Our green cheek walks backwards before "launching". We have split her food up more evenly and her poop is getting back to normal. Well normal to us. It is a greenish ball with a hint of white. Is this about right for her?
gophynna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Dove

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 am

Yes, it sounds about right. GCCs poops do tend to be too 'wet' and their tendency to 'shoot' it out the back doesn't help with keeping things clean around them but I have pretty much given up on it... I just clean the mess and forget about it.

And, if you think GCCs are messy, you should see what an amazon fed on fruit can do to your walls and floors!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:20 am

Green cheeks have nothing on Suns and Jendays. They seem to think squirting poop around the room is their mission in life.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:00 pm

:lol: WORD!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training