Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting greek cheek conure off shoulder

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Getting greek cheek conure off shoulder

Postby gophynna » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:51 am

My Green Cheek Conure loves coming out of her cage and will step up onto my hand, but then goes to straight to my shoulder. She will spend all day there if I let her, but when I need to remove her I have to ask my boyfriend for help, because she will bite if I try to get her off. She does not bite him. She always wants to be in the same room with me and prefers to be on my shoulder. She will scream if I am in a different room. Is there anything I can do to get to a point where I can get her off my shoulder without his help?
gophynna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Dove
Flight: Yes

Re: Getting greek cheek conure off shoulder

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:40 pm

This post is so tied into your last post that it is practically the very same issue, for that reason I am going to try to reply to this in your previous post.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Getting greek cheek conure off shoulder

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 am

:lol: Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Velcro bird!!! There is absolutely nothing I would recommend you do to prevent her from been there. GCCs live to be on our shoulders! Nothing brings them more pleasure than that and, as far as I am concerned, if that is what they like, that is what they will get. I have had four GCCs altogether, three were rehomed (a pair that bonded with each other after they came to me and a single, mildly handicapped male that went to a couple who stay home all day long), the fourth one, a female with Hunter's syndrome, is still with me and has a boyfriend of her own (an old, severely handicapped, ex-breeder wild caught peach fronted conure) but she still spends two solid hours on me (and that means either on my shoulder or hanging from my chest).

Now, if you are willing to allow her to ride your shoulder for as long as she likes and the problem is that, say, at noon or in the evening, she needs to go back to her cage and would bite you when you ask her to step up from your shoulder, all you have to do is teach her to step up to a stick and always save her high value item for these occasions.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training