Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My hand tame lovebird bites!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: My hand tame lovebird bites!!

Postby liz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:49 am

Birds by nature are afraid of hands. Before Myrtle learned to "fly" when I told her I would use an open hand with palm toward her to run her off. It is kind of like cutting a switch and then shaking it at your kid.

When I catch her coming at my head I put my hand up with fingers spread and she will just land on my shoulder. They don't like hands but love faces. On my shoulder is as close as she can get to my face and will preen me while she is there. Rambo does not fly but will climb to my shoulder and preen me.

It is all about trust. When you can read the signs of what your parrot is up to then you can respond accordingly. You have to trust him first then he will trust you. Little bites that do not bring blood can be called nibbles. Mine like to nibble. I guess if I did not trust them I would block them. I have been bit but knew what caused it and fixed the situation.

When I tell them that they are doing something they should not do they will usually stop. Myrtle has come up with "oh well" to dismiss me when I tell her something and she intends to ignore it. She has started punishing me with pinches when she does not get her way. I say "owe" and she knows she got her point across.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:42 am

Wolf wrote:Whenever you have him step onto the stick or your hand from your head be sure to give him his favorite treat and lots of praise for doing it.

That's right, positive reinforcement is the sure way to go BUT don't put him in his cage immediately after because, if you do, he won't step up to the stick or your finger.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby gophynna » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 am

This topic is the same problem I have almost! I'm working on building more trust with my baby. I think she just loves me so much she doesn't want to leave my shoulder or head, so there comes the bite. Her overpreening/nippiness is getting better each day. I'm working on getting her comfortable playing on her own without needing me to be there every second. It's slow progress, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel a little more everyday!
gophynna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Dove

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:35 pm

You are right, Gophynna, the issues that you both are having is very similar. And in both cases the thing with the ear nipping is basically the same thing and is actually the bird trying to preen you and not really an attempt to bite or hurt you guys in any way. Try to consider that birds do not have external ears and it leads them to wonder what these things are that are sticking out the side of your head. So the first thing that the bird is going to do is check them out to see what they are and how tough and strong they are and whether or not they will come off. This very often leads the bird to try and do you the big favor of removing them. You have to not over react to this even though the ears are sensitive and the birds attempts to help are a bit painful. You have to gently teach the bird that your ears are supposed to be there and do not need removal and therefore to be gentle with them. This could simply require some time while you say "ow", " ouch" or whatever in a pained tone and tell the bird something like " be Gentle" or " no bite" and perhaps gently pushing the birds beak away from your ears. In some more severe or persistent cases it might even take covering the ears for a period of time. Mostly it just takes patience and teaching the bird to be gentle.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby gophynna » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:10 am

Had an unfortunate incident yesterday. My mother came over to visit and my green cheek was comfortable on my shoulder for awhile, but in a flash she got curious and ran to my mom and up to her shoulder and gave her a big old nip on the cheek to say hello. Sadly it broke skin and caused bleeding. I feel awful about it. My mother assured me that the bird is just curious and she is not upset.
gophynna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Conure, Dove

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 am

Ahhh, good and kind momma! But the bird was not curious, she was warning the stranger that you belong to her and to stay away. In time and if your bird sees your mother frequently and as long as she doesn't touch, kiss you or stay real close to you, it will learn to accept her as a flock member and will not attack.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Ilie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:52 am

I ve read all your replies.
Thank you all very much.
I am not afraid of my lovebird any more and I think that we are getting better each day.
Ilie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Mine (actually, not mine yet but so far it appears as he will be), a peachfront and possibly a male (I still have to DNA him/her) has been with me for a week or so and I was showing my grandkids this morning how he comes flying to my shoulder when I call him and kisses my cheek... I had forgotten how sweet these little guys can be!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training