Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ill toss the harness

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Ill toss the harness

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:32 pm

I worked a year with my jardine on the harness. He hates it. Outside, all he pays attention to is chewing at it. To make matters worse, beginning of summer, i used it to bring him outdoors at a friends house. Well, guess what!? The darn thing swelled from humidity i guess...and i had to traumatize my bird while trying to get it to come off. Why torment this animal if he doesnt want it? So, im just going to toss it. I now have another travel cage comming for the meyers parrot. Im going to build a pvc tube made cart to hold both travel cages for outings to the park for fresh air and sun. Otherwise, i have no need for harnesses.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Ill toss the harness

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 am

Well, the important thing is that they get some nice, direct sunshine and whether this happens with the parrot in a cage or in a harness makes no difference. I don't use harnesses myself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Ill toss the harness

Postby Navre » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am

One of our most difficult Goffins readily accepts a harness being put on him. Other very tame birds fly off at the sight of one. They're not for everyone.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Return to Taming & Basic Training