Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Unexpected Benefits of Training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

The Unexpected Benefits of Training

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:24 pm

i came across this article about the unexpected benefits of clicker training and there is info here by an animal trainer with account of how training benefitted the aminals lives.

http://www.clickertraining.com/the-unex ... f-training
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Re: The Unexpected Benefits of Training

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Thank you for sharing this article with us, I found it to be quite interesting. I believe that if training is done correctly that it always benefits the animal in various ways that we usually do not see coming until something unusual occurs. Mostly, I have seen the benefits manifest in the areas of problem solving and in changed behaviors as well as in the area of trust towards humans. I did find that a couple of his examples as to the possible benefits of training, while possible took even me a bit of a stretch to see as possible, while the other were not so difficult to say were well within the realm of possibility.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Training has MANY benefits for captive or domesticated animals but the key element on whether it's beneficial or not is the trainer himself. One can teach techniques but one cannot give a person the 'right feel' for it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:13 am

Wolf wrote:Thank you for sharing this article with us, I found it to be quite interesting. I believe that if training is done correctly that it always benefits the animal in various ways that we usually do not see coming until something unusual occurs. Mostly, I have seen the benefits manifest in the areas of problem solving and in changed behaviors as well as in the area of trust towards humans. I did find that a couple of his examples as to the possible benefits of training, while possible took even me a bit of a stretch to see as possible, while the other were not so difficult to say were well within the realm of possibility.

Thanks Wolf, I found the article facinating. I have my own example and it is with chickens. My family who were farmers told me chickens were stupid, but my friend got some chickens to have fresh eggs and let her chickens roam free in her yard and began to teach them tricks. The chickens got smarter and more interactive and I will never believe chickens are dumb again, only that often, they lack the experiences to shine.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:19 am

I think that in order to even begin to reach its intellectual potential that everyone, human or non human requires mental stimulation and challenges. Although in the wild most of these challenges tend to be life or death situations, they don't need to be. I think that training can be very useful in providing the needed stimulation and most creatures will then build on this after their own fashion as it enhances their problem solving abilities. That is at least what I have observed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training