Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Got new African Grey Approx 1 year old

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Got new African Grey Approx 1 year old

Postby mustafarangoon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:47 am

I dont know if its a clipped wing or not. I have seen him opening his full wing and its quite big. I dont have any experience about wings so may be or may not be clipped.
mustafarangoon
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:26 am

Have you let him out of his cage? Does he fly at all, if you have let him out?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby mustafarangoon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 am

No he doesn't come out because he is hesitated and when he does shows sign to come out I am afraid as what if he doesn't go back inside? It's was just nice yesterday when cage was open and he tried to come out and when I went next to cage he went inside. He is not a trained bird so sometimes he is just like crazy. Should I wear gloves and then let him out? What if he doesn't want to go inside again?
mustafarangoon
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 am

No, don't use gloves to touch or handle him, they will only scare him more than he already is. The chances are that if his wings have been clipped that if you let him come out, he will just climb to the top of his cage and hang out there.

Are you spending time beside his cage talking to him and offering him a treat such as an almond or other food that seems to be one of his favorites? If so, how much time and how many times per day?

What are you feeding him for breakfast? All day? And for dinner?

The more information that you share with us the better we can help you with Alex.

Before we can tell you the best ways for you to get him to return to his cage or to allow you to place him in the cage, we should know what you are feeding him as well as when you are giving what foods to him. If you are feeding him high value food to him during the day then it will be harder to get him back in his cage, for example.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mustafarangoon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:43 am

I give him 3 different diets. In morning seed diet, then Karma whole food diet and then when i come from office i give him some nuts hand fed, Varselle Laga Nut based whole diet with Fresh veggies.

I think he like whole nut in which he has to break it and then eat, whole soyabeen and walnuts.
mustafarangoon
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:38 pm

All you are feeding is protein food and that's real bad for him/her (his liver will become full of fat nodules and his kidneys will produce too much uric acid which, in turn, produces gout). Also, in my personal opinion, soy is not good for animals. He/she needs fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Please take the time to read this article about soy beans and their effects on our parrots and other animals. http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/keepi ... d-products I also read that because of this same type of issues that Australia was considering banning soy beans and soy products from any bird food imported into the country.

I am pretty sure that I described to you how to start teaching your bird to eat the various fruits and vegetables that it needs in its diet in order to remain healthy. If by chance, I omitted doing this and you let me know, I will be happy to provide you with how to go this with your bird.

I am not against the use of commercially prepared foods for our birds as I use a seed mix for my own birds, but such foods should make up no more than one third of the birds daily diet, the remaining two thirds should consist of fruits and vegetables, sprouts, partly cooked whole grains, and even some white beans and lentils as long as they are fully cooked.

We will be happy to help you to learn about your birds diet as well as the best time of the day to feed your bird these different foods that it needs to remain healthy.

Please understand that our only motivation for being here on this forum is that we care very much about these birds and their well being and feel that by sharing here we may be able to help these birds to have a better life. No one receives any compensation for this other than an occasional thank you. We do this for the birds benefit only.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mustafarangoon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:32 am

I am thinking to buy this : #A17

Is it good for my grey.
mustafarangoon
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:33 am

I have one like A11 with the larder measurements, but I really see nothing wrong with A17, the one that you like, but I would still choose the one with the larger measurements. I think that the powder coating on A11 would be of a better quality but that is something that is hard to say for certain with just a picture to go by.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mustafarangoon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:10 am

#A17 is bigger then #A11 i think. I liked the way side perch is because i think upper perch may give dominating nature to Grey as it is he is like one. what should i do ?

I just ordered some of he chilies, Fresh fruit like melons, papaya and pomegranade. Also bough lettuce, broccoli, tomato and carrot.

How to make Mash? I also wanted to add zupreem pellets in Mash.
mustafarangoon
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training