Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming an IRN

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Taming an IRN

Postby Sh4ggster » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:38 pm

I work at a local pet store where somebody returned a n Indian Ringneck because she was 'mean.' Turns out she's downright terrified of humans. I knew she wouldn't be bought any time soon, and she was locked in a tiny cage with no room to exercise. If you went near her, she would fly at the other side of the cage screaming; even if you were only changing her food and water. Feeling pity for her, I ended up buying her and taking her home. Now, she doesn't scream when I go near her, but she does throw herself across the cage to get away from me. I know she won't be tame in a day, but I have no experience taming birds. What would be the best way to go about beginning to tame her?
Sh4ggster
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Taming an IRN

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:08 pm

I just recently answered this very type of question for another member. The only difference was that they had a Quaker parrot instead of an IRN. The process is exactly the same, but there may be a difference in the amount of time that is required at any step in the process. Ringnecks are actually very needy birds and once you have build up their trust you will find that it will still require a lot of one on one time spent with the bird to build and to maintain your relationship with the bird. Here is the link to the other topic where I explain this process, I hope you find it helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Taming an IRN

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:59 am

Actually, Wolf, I would not say that IRN's are needy... I do see where you are coming from, you mean that they 'need' a lot of time on a daily basis but, usually, when one refers to a species as 'needy', it means that they need a lot of one-on-one to be happy (and when I say 'one-on-one' I mean the bird loves to be ON you, something adult IRNs are not big on, usually) and not to keep tame which is the reason for the more than normal daily time spent on psittaculas.

In any case, welcome to the forum and thank you so much for buying this poor bird! Psittaculas don't do well with first timers as they require not only a lot of daily one-on-one time but are never quite what people consider a 'companion' (meaning cuddly) bird -and that's why we see so many been rehomed nowadays, people become disappointed in them because they expect a level of closeness these birds are not known for giving and their smallish size makes them believe they will be easier than the larger species -which is not true.

I would put her in a large flight cage in a spot in the house where she can get her natural light and see humans but not where it's super busy so as to get her used to things gradually. I would put her immediately on a good, fresh food diet, a solar schedule with a good full spectrum lights in the ceiling fixture, a steady routine (and that means every single day) and would keep her company as much as possible to get her used to my presence. As she feels more comfortable and stops reacting to my nearness (don't ever push it, always respect her boundaries so, if you see she is backing away from you, stop and take a step back until she no longer reacts at that distance and you can come closer until you can be right next to her cage and she is still completely relaxed), I would start letting her out to exercise (nothing dissipates stress hormones from their bloodstream as flying) about one hour before her dinner is served and, as she will be already used to the routine and it will happen during twilight, she will be expecting her dinner and you have a VERY good chance she will go back into her cage on her own but, for this to happen, you can't free-feed protein food because, if you do, there will be no incentive for her to do it. Parrots are all very curious birds which need company all the time so, eventually, she will start following you around and even approaching you and, when she does, you can start target training and establishing a more personal relationship with her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training