Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Newbie Parrot Owner help

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Newbie Parrot Owner help

Postby claire.t.lewis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:35 am

Hi

I have joined so many forums to try and get some advice but no replies as yet.
About 4 months ago I purchased with my husband, an 7/8 month old Ringneck named Rico and He was hand reared.
I just need a few tips on how to gain his trust. I believe he scared of me, when he steps up he makes a low panting like noise for a few seconds.
When I approach his cage he moves to the back or if he is out on the top he climbs down the back. I have to get him to move around to the side where if will most times step onto my finger.
I read that they love water so I started to give him showers, which he loves. Whilst in the shower he lets me stroke him and is perfectly at ease with this, outside I can't touch him as he squawks at me. He does this when I try to give him treats such as Apple or pear. Rarely can I get him to eat it from my hand without squawking but he has done. Then i am thinking should i give him the treat if he is squawking, is that just reinforcing his behavior.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Claire
claire.t.lewis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Re: Newbie Parrot Owner help

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:27 am

Not a lot of detail to go by especially in what you have been doing to win his trust. I think that backing up and beginning all over even just as a refresher for him would be the best way to start, so I would begin with using the method outlined in this link viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840 While also spending several hours each day just hanging out in the same room as your bird talking to him, using his name frequently so that he learns his name and knows that you are talking to him. This also helps him to become accustomed to the sound of your voice which will help to calm him as his trust in you begins to grow. It also give him the chance to watch you so that he learns that you are not a threat to him. If you can schedule his out of cage time to about two or three hours before his dinner time then it would also make it easier to get him back into his cage for dinner and bed time. Then without changing his out of cage time I would move on from the method in the first link to the methods contained in this link viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

I think that these will solve your problem. Ringnecks are not considered to be companion species of parrots as they do not bond as tightly to humans as other species so they are classified as aviary species. It takes a lot of time working with them to maintain the human/ bird bond so even when this issue is resolved you will always need to spend at least four or more hours each day of personal one on one time with your bird of it will begin to revert to a less trusting set of behaviors.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby claire.t.lewis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:37 am

Hi, thank you very much for your reply.
I will read the links and follow your advice.

thanks again.
Claire
claire.t.lewis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Genn The Grey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

a method that worked with me:

whenever i put my hand in the cage to change food, water or clean, i'd leave my hand inside for 10-15 minutes while im sitting next to the cage

it took my grey 3 days to start eating from my hand and climbing my fingers

also u must speak to the bird while doing anything to him, they like conversations
Genn The Grey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:15 pm

I don't recommend putting a hand inside the cage and leaving it there. It was used as a taming technique years ago but it fell in disuse when we realized what flooding was. And, if you think about it, it really served no other purpose but to stress out the bird or invite a bite because all handfed birds will eat out of the hand of a person they know and trust - they will also step up without having to be taught. In truth, handfed parrots hardly need any training for cohabiting...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training