Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Step Up Success + question

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: IRN Simo's step up?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Pajarita wrote:To a parrot (or any other animal, actually) a click without reward means nothing but an interesting noise -same as a phone ringing or the beep of the microwave when the food is ready.

Praise is the reward and they expect it when they hear the click so that means something to them
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:14 am

If praise is the reward why bother clicking?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:52 am

Pajarita wrote:If praise is the reward why bother clicking?

I don't think any Parrot would like a click as a reward unless they really liked to hear it.I click so my birds know they are getting a treat.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 pm

OK. Click and treat go together but you can also do just praise without treat or click. That's what I do and it works just fine for me but, like I said before, I don't hold any training sessions or teach my parrots any tricks.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Pajarita wrote:OK. Click and treat go together but you can also do just praise without treat or click. That's what I do and it works just fine for me but, like I said before, I don't hold any training sessions or teach my parrots any tricks.

Oh yes of course I do that too sometimes.I also stopped teaching tricks and training I think I mentioned it here before I'd rather just spend time with them than make them work on tricks all the time.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Re: Step Up Success

Postby Viatrixa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:37 am

:irn: Success guys! Simo has managed to step up onto my fingers.

It didn't happen just like that - for a while now we've given him complete freedom in our house to explore and poke. He started off gently nibbling our hands and fingers. He has developed this strangest habit of grabbing my fingertips, exploring it with his tongue / beak and then he drops it. He basically started to climb over our hands / arms and one day he simply just perched on our fingers while climbing and stayed there. I guess in a way he himself told me when he's ready for it :mrgreen:

However I did cheat a little bit. I didn't use the targeting stick and instead just used a treat and the clicker. I must mention however that he didn't do it immediately and even nipped my fingers. It wasn't painful, but I am wondering how to react to this? I don't want to call it biting because he has properly bitten me once and this is more like... well, compare a punch to a pinch in human terms.

How should I react to the slight nipping? Basically he nipped at my finger quickly, stared at me, and then stepped up. I know that birds like to test the stability of things they will perch on, but I don't think this was about that. It seemed too rough for that; yet it also wasn't a full on bite. Ergo I'm a bit confused and not sure if I should say "OUCH!" and withdraw my hand. But yes, he has learned to now step up and he's doing very well!
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Re: Step Up Success + question

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:52 am

YAAAAAYYYYY for Simo!!!! If the nip did not really hurt, I would just say 'No, gently, gently' or whatever phrase you choose for this.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Viatrixa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 am

My husband reckons he's simply just being a brat and kind of testing his limits while at the same time being a good boy.

But yeah! We're very happy with this development! We're already in the process of teaching him even more used to hands and some more interesting tricks. He seems to enjoy the learning process. :roll:
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:30 am

The nips could be his way of telling you that he is not exactly pleased about something or he could be trying to figure out how hard he can bite down before getting a negative response, sort of testing his limits. Either way I would do like was suggested and let him know that it is too much and hurts a bit and tell him to be gentler in your own way, just be consistent with what you do.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training