Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Step Up Success + question

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Step Up Success + question

Postby Viatrixa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 pm

:irn: Simo seems very comfortable in our presence and actively comes to both me and the husband when out of his cage. He did so well with target training that I've now began the step up to a finger - process with him.

We're already at the point where I can hold the training perch parallel to his, and I even hold in such a way that when he steps on to it, he's right next my fingers. I started off with the method that's described in Michael's book. He's doing really well, albeit at times he tries to touch the actual perch instead of stepping up onto it and touching the target stick, and he also at times pokes my finger. Usually after one or two mistakes he gets it and steps normally onto the training perch.

Today I tried this without the stick and offered my fingers instead - however, he ended up looking very confused and poked my finger instead as if it were the target stick (the actual target stick was being held in such a way that he'd have to perch on my finger to reach it). So I'm thinking maybe I tried to target him onto my hand a bit too soon, and should go on with the training perch for a little bit longer?
Last edited by Viatrixa on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: IRN Simo's step up?

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 am

I would suggest that you continue with the perch in your step up training, but I would start sliding one finger along the side of the perch so that Simo begins to get used to your finger and begins to step up onto the finger. Just keep doing that and be patient. Another thing that you can try is when you first open the cage is to place your finger at the cage door and hold the treat so that he can just reach it over your finger if he stretches a little bit. He will stretch to reach the treat and eventually will step up.

Stepping up is actually a matter of trust and it is a big step for them to trust us enough to want to step up on their own, but truthfully it is something that they all will do when they trust us enough to want to spend their time with and on us, the treats just help us to convince them that it is safe to do.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:59 am

Wolf gave you all the right advice but I would not worry too much about it because, as long as you can get him to step up to a stick, that's good enough for cohabiting and, although I've never had psittaculas, going by what I have read about them, they tend to be the kind of bird that wants to be WITH its human but not ON its human.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Mango will step up on my finger and anybody else but he still doesn't take treats from me.Mango isn't Target trained yet and since Simo is that will be a great advantage.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Viatrixa » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Honestly, Simo is in such a good place with us right now that I'm very happy with him as is! I will keep training him however and see where we get eventually.

He's generally a very well behaved little boy and eager to learn. He picks up on stuff with remarkable speed - hooray for parrot intelligence!

Wow, Mango doesn't take treats from you? Does he react at all to a clicker, or do you not use one with him? Even if he doesn't take a treat from you the click alone can serve as the reward maybe? A signal that says "I did this right!" Though I'm seriously not an expert so I wouldn't know if this is true or not.
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm

The only experts on parrots that I have discovered at this time are parrots and they are currently withholding a lot of information fro humans.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:19 pm

Viatrixa wrote:Honestly, Simo is in such a good place with us right now that I'm very happy with him as is! I will keep training him however and see where we get eventually.

He's generally a very well behaved little boy and eager to learn. He picks up on stuff with remarkable speed - hooray for parrot intelligence!

Wow, Mango doesn't take treats from you? Does he react at all to a clicker, or do you not use one with him? Even if he doesn't take a treat from you the click alone can serve as the reward maybe? A signal that says "I did this right!" Though I'm seriously not an expert so I wouldn't know if this is true or not.

Yes I click and say good boy and I would drop a treat in his bowl
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 am

Viatrixa wrote:Honestly, Simo is in such a good place with us right now that I'm very happy with him as is! I will keep training him however and see where we get eventually.

Using a clicker without a reward is the same as using words (which is what I do) only it doesn't work as well as words because the clicker sound means nothing to them while the tone of a human's voice does. I never reward my birds with food, I reward them with praise and scratches... When I started keeping parrots, there were no training techniques (no internet, either :D ) so I just did what came naturally to me from training children, dogs and cats and it worked very well so I never changed it. I do understand the concept of a food reward and I do believe it works better (and faster) when you are having formal training sessions but I have no interest whatsoever in my birds learning tricks... I just want them to be happy and learn what they need so as not to become a complete pest of themselves :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:43 am

It has to mean something to them if they hear it and get excited because they know they did it right so obviously that clearly shows it means something.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 am

To a parrot (or any other animal, actually) a click without reward means nothing but an interesting noise -same as a phone ringing or the beep of the microwave when the food is ready.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training