Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker Parrot Biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Quaker Parrot Biting

Postby Nizzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi there,

I have had my Quaker for roughly 2 months now.. She's about 6 months old. I love her to bits but she won't stop "cleaning" me. It started off fine but she has started really going for my moles and is even drawing blood. It's getting far too painful. Any ideas on how to stop her doing this?
Nizzy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Quaker Parrot Biting

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 am

Wish you lots of luck on this one as it is extremely difficult to change a birds natural behaviors and this is one of them, to my way of thinking. It is a natural thing for them to try and remove these, I don't know what they are thinking that they are, ticks, perhaps, but they think that they are doing you a huge and beneficial favor by removing them for you.

Sometimes you can use distraction to help them to understand that this is actually a part of you. Sometimes other than going to a doctor and having them removed, the only thing that helps is to keep them covered while the bird is on you. I really don't know of anything that is more than a crap shoot in changing this behavior, Good luck.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Quaker Parrot Biting

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 am

Yes, this is a problem with them... I have this little lovebird who has made it his personal business to 'clean' my skin off anything that looks 'suspicious' to him and, with his very sharp little beak, his 'love' for me is quite painful! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training