Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I need your help/advise

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

I need your help/advise

Postby ValiX » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello,
almost a year ago i purchased 2 baby budgies. Lack of experience prevent me to tame these amazing birds and i am very sad since i cant enjoy playing with them as i intended. They are very well fed and i provide all the best care possible out there and i let me fly every day after work and the whole weekend. i would really love some advises how i can create a bond with my birds. They are scared of me, they fly away and i do not know how can i bond. I watched tons of videos on youtube but i am not confident that i am on the right path. Any piece of advice is welcomed.
Thank you,
Valentin
ValiX
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: I need your help/advise

Postby liz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:09 am

You may have to start from the beginning as if you just brought them home.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 am

Being what they are budgies are a bit more flighty than some of the larger parrots and do not bond as tightly to humans as do the larger species, still if you will read this post and follow the steps as outlined, you should have no problems with hand taming them. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840 This is the link to the topic, let us know how it goes for you and since this is your first posting welcome to the forum.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Wolf gave you the right link for advice so the only thing I have to add is that you will need A LOT of patience because it's going to take a long time so don't despair if you don't see any improvement after a month or so, just keep at it and it will happen.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ValiX » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Good evening,
i will start slow with small steps. i started to spent more time talking with my babies, i put my hand inside their cage and i am hoping to create a bond with both. it will take time, i am aware but i am hoping. i noticed they are starting to sleep while i have my hand inside so it makes me assume that they are starting to be comfortable with me...so i would like to believe. not to mention my and my wife are looking to adopt a baby indian ringneck. so big plans. i will keep updating this post.
ValiX
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: budgies

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 am

If you read the link that I gave you for handtaming of new parrots you will notice that I do not recommend putting your hand inside of their cage during this time. I feel that doing so is one of the first mistakes that we make and that it could actually slow down the process due to the additional fear and stress that it creates in an already stressed and fearful bib. Hand taming and indeed the vast majority of the relationships that we have with our birds are really all based on gaining the birds trust.

Even after 5 years with my birds and although they all allow my hand in their cages, I still try to keep that to a minimum as their cage is also their private safe place where they can say, even to me, leave me alone for a while. So I open their doors and let them come out as they are ready to do so.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:49 am

Wolf is right, putting your hand in a bird's cage as a taming technique is no longer recommended as it falls under the 'flooding' category. Also, you mentioned you work all day and, if your wife also has a full time job outside the house, I would not recommend getting an IRN because they need special handling every single day for loooong hours to keep tame so, although everything will seem OK at the beginning (while the bird is still a baby and a juvenile), as the bird becomes sexually mature, it will change unless you are spending four hours of one-on-one with him (and it cannot be when it's dark outside) - psittaculas are not easy birds to keep bonded even for experienced parrot keepers...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training