Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming and Biting problem!!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Taming and Biting problem!!!

Postby JVGaming » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:09 pm

well i dont actually know if that is even an IRN
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebirds , Indian Ring Neck Parrot, Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Why don't you post a picture and we will tell you what kind of bird it is? We've gotten pretty good at identifying species...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby JVGaming » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Got any ideas on how to make my lovebirds from stop being scared of me .... when i even come closer to them they just run into their nesting house which makes me unable to tame them.... if i remove the house they just start flying around the cage as if i am gonna kill them (I know they think i am a predator :D ) PS i dont just put my hand inside the cage... just come closer like 30 cm away i guess same size and diet and stuff... like the parrot.
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Look for the closest distance you can be from them without them freaking out and just spend a lot of time in that spot talking to them. What you do is you walk into the room not looking directly at them (staring is a predator behavior so always look at them from the corner of your eye) and walk closer until you see them tensing, stop right there and take a single step back - that is 'the' spot from where you can start getting them used to your presence. Once you see that they don't react at all when you are in that spot (it will take days, maybe weeks) and go about their own thing, take one single step closer and spend time from there until they are fine with it - then another step and so on and so forth until you can stand right next to their cage without them getting scared. Once you achieve that, you can start offering them treats through the bars of the cage but for this to work you can't free-feed seeds or any other protein food.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JVGaming » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:02 pm

i usually whistle when i am close to their cage so they dont feel i am trying to hide
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby JVGaming » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:56 pm

my parrot
Attachments
Green parrot.jpg
this is my parrot looks like an IRN
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby JVGaming » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:00 pm

WELL This is unexpected!!!! i did the things you told me and my birds i guess they just learned pretty quickly that i am not a predator i guess they are not scared anymore even if i see them... but they are damn terrified of my hands :(
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby mmeager » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:00 am

From the picture you posted, yes that is definitely an Indian Ringneck, could be an older female, hard to tell from the picture, but looks to be a younger bird to me, in which case could be either male or female, you wont know for a year or so until full development, the male will develop a beautiful ring around his neck. I don't know a lot about your other birds, I have heard that lovebirds can become very friendly, but are not particularly a hands on people orientated type of bird. Your Indian Ringneck can be tho, they are extremely intelligent birds, but you need to be very constant with him/her, as they will also revert to wild ways very quickly, he/she will also test you, especially if a juvenile, this is a young stage called "Bluffing" All birds go through it, but Indian Ringnecks are particularly good at it! you must be very patient and understanding with your bird during this stage, and yes, expect bites! But much of how you deal with this stage can effect your relationship into the future.
Best advice I can give you is to listen to the more experienced parrot owners here, the advice they can give you, if followed, will not only amaze! But truly reward you from your parrots response.
And always remember that parrots are very hands on, interactive animals, that do require a lot of your time and effort.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 pm

JVGaming wrote:WELL This is unexpected!!!! i did the things you told me and my birds i guess they just learned pretty quickly that i am not a predator i guess they are not scared anymore even if i see them... but they are damn terrified of my hands :(

Lovebirds are not fond of hands - even the hand-fed don't like them. I have two right now but had a flock of almost 40 when I had the rescue and the best thing to do with them is to allow them their own sweet time to get used to things. My male was found in a balcony by a couple who did not want to keep him and the female is an ex-breeder. He is fine with me (he is chewing on my apron and going in and out of the chest part of it as I type), he doesn't step up for anybody else and, although he is gentle with me, he has no problem nipping anybody else if they get on 'his face' (he nipped my daughter's lip when she asked him for a kiss but it was her fault for presuming). But, even with me, he is quite stubborn and would only step up when he feels like it (mostly because he knows he is going back into the cage when this happens). But he is a cutie that zooms around like a little plane and hovers in the air like a hummingbird when he is deciding exactly on which part of my body he will perch -especially when I have other birds perched on me at the time :lol: And, he answers me with a strong PEEEP when I call his name (he likes to hide behind the draperies or under furniture or cages so, whenever I don't see him, I call out his name, Peachy, and he answers :D )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training