Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming and Biting problem!!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Taming and Biting problem!!!

Postby JVGaming » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi! I have got 6 birds 3 lovebirds :swaying: that are terrified of me... 2 cockatiels :greycockatiel: and an Indian ring neck parrot :irn: .. so basically I usually remove my male cockatiel from the cage I have done this a lot of time so... so now I make him step up and he does but he doesn't take any treats from me when he is on my hand. He takes treats when he is in the cage. so what can I do to train him? and my ring neck he was handfed so he lets me touch him and knows to step up but he loves my head just runs onto my head every time and he even bites really hard to get a balance so please help me :cry: .
Thank You
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebirds , Indian Ring Neck Parrot, Cockatiels
Flight: No

Re: Taming and Biting problem!!!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:23 pm

I don't know what you are feeding as a staple or what you are using as reward and that makes a HUGE difference so, please, tell us exactly what you feed the tiel in the morning and what you use for treats. As to the IRN... well, birds all feel safe on our heads. Mine play musical chairs on it. One flies over and perches there, another one comes flying like a bat out of hell making the first bird fly off so he/she can perch there instead and we go on like this for hours! :roll: What you can do is use a long stick to get it to perch on it so as to get it off your head but, usually, all you have to do is give the command (I just say: "Not on my head!")and make an abrupt movement with your head (like nodding hard) and they fly off - at least mine do. But, of course, the bird has to be fully flighted for this to work, if your bird is clipped, you are screwed up :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby JVGaming » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:09 am

Lol i am screwed for irn then and i usually feed him mix seeds mostly sunflower seeds to my tiels and i give them millets for treats... :mrgreen:
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:28 am

No, I don't think that you are screwed with the IRN or your other birds, just because of what little that you mentioned. I will say that based on what you have said about their behaviors and what you are feeding them that you are probably pretty new to parrots and have made some mistakes, but , hey, we have all made mistakes both big and small mistakes. What is important is what you do about this from this point forward. The fact that you are here now and starting to ask for information and help is a good starting point.

It is very difficult for us or anyone else to give you good advice without knowing about your birds. Things such as their daily diet, the lighting they receive, When they get up in the mornings and go to bed at night, What their daily routines are and the type and frequency of your interactions with them, Size and placements of their cages and so on. All of these thing have a direct influence on their behaviors, so if you would share this information with us, we will be in a much better position to help both you and your birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JVGaming » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:20 am

Yup your right i am new to parrots.... so this is the information
1. Daily Diet: Sunflower Seeds & Pumpkin Seeds
2. They are usually at a cornor of a room so they got startled or scared by some one sneaking up.... they usually sleep at 8;30 pm and wake up at 5:20 am and start singing. sizeof the cage of the 3 birds (they live in one cage) : 76.4 cm Length x 88.5 cm Height x 45 cm Breadth. Well i placed the birds at a room where the house members/ my family will spend most of the time.
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Wow that is a very small cage , when you consider what birds you have. This size of a cage is barely suitable for just one cockatiel and too small for one IRN, I have not tried to work out the proper size of cage for a lovebird, but the cage that I have for my parrotlet is pretty close to that same size, but I would not try to keep two of them in it without plenty of out of cage time. Birds are a lot like people in many respects and this is one of those areas. When they are overcrowded then they are always more fearful and aggressive just the same as people that live in ghetto and slum environments are. You should give this some heavy consideration as there is room for a lot of improvement in this area. You can get by with smaller cages provided that the birds using that cage get enough time out of their cages by which I mean that they mainly just use it for sleeping in.

The diet that you are currently feeding your birds is sort of like the one that was being fed to parrots a little over 20 to 25 years ago and the birds that were fed this type of diet did not live even close to their normal lifespan. They kept dying from liver failure, heart attacks, kidney failure and believe it or not diabetes and pancreatic failure. This was the diet that led to the development of pellet which at first was not much of an improvement.

Since that time there has been a lot of progress in this area. The actual starting point for understanding what and how to feed each of the species of parrots that you have is to do some research to learn what it is that they actually eat in the wild. From this information you can begin to see what types of food that you need to give them as well as when to feed them what foods. Parrots need to be given breakfast, with a little bit of food available to them all day long and then they need to have a good dinner in the evening.

I think that the best thing that I can do to begin to help you to improve the diet of your birds is to give you a link to a list of foods that are good and bad for them. This list also has listing for plants and trees and woods that are both safe or toxic to them as well as a list of some household items that are dangerous for them. The actual lists start on the second page of this link, it would be a great thing to make a copy of as even after 5 year with my birds I still refer to it on a regular basis. Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521

I want you to understand that we have all made a lot of mistakes in our time with our birds and there is no intent to make any judgements. I think that I need you to understand this right from the start as it is normal for me to try and help you and your birds to improve the areas that need it before moving on to things like hand taming or training. I find that it normally works out best this way as it is very difficult to try to interact with a parrot that does not trust you and when they are not given the right care of their basic needs they will usually not trust you, so that is why I work on improving their life conditions first. If you start making the improvements you will begin to see at the very least small improvements in their attitudes and behaviors, and these will pave the way for earning their trust.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:47 am

Wolf, Pajarita give really good advice. The people in this forum will always share their info.
All I can add is to give the little "beings" respect.

I would never reach in a cage to get a bird to step up. I just open the door and let them come out on their own. Moving a perch to eye level lessens their fear.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby JVGaming » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:52 am

Liz i do the same thing.... Wolf i think i might have made some mistake in the cage size cause it is huge like its bigger than normal dish washers people have and for the diet i even give them some green veggies fruits and some nuts
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:26 pm

No, the measurements you gave are pretty similar to that of a dishwasher, I think... But, in any case, I never house two different species together UNLESS they have mate-bonded on their own (I have a GCC and a peachfront conure in a cage together but they chose the arrangement themselves) and, besides, three birds together is ALWAYS a bad number, even if they are all of the same species.

Sunflowers and pumpkin seeds don't provide enough nutrition on their own and they are both way too high in protein and fat for cockatiels and IRN's (actually, they are bad for any species of parrot). You need to feed them a mix of many different grass seeds instead but then, only for dinner, not for all day long.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby JVGaming » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:08 pm

they live like a family so i dont think i need to seperate them
JVGaming
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training