Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tiko:Harness Training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Tiko:Harness Training

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:18 am

Tiko is now being harness trained it was her first training session and she didn't fly away or anything but she keeps trying to play with it lol.We will also be having a Male African grey stay over during Christmas and he is harness trained and very friendly, I can see by looking how she acts with my stepdad that she can be friendly towards me too I just need to work on that :) now I'm much more motivated to achieve this and very jealous lol.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Tiko:Harness Training

Postby Kaylan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:08 am

How did you go harness training Tiko? I finally managed to train my Eclectus, Jake, recently, and he loves going for walks! It took me months to train him, though. My young Caique took only a week to train to harness :) But I need to reinforce it often enough and sometimes make the treats really good for poking their head through and sitting nicely while I do it up.
Kaylan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Black-headed Caique

Re: Tiko:Harness Training

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:43 am

Kaylan wrote:How did you go harness training Tiko? I finally managed to train my Eclectus, Jake, recently, and he loves going for walks! It took me months to train him, though. My young Caique took only a week to train to harness :) But I need to reinforce it often enough and sometimes make the treats really good for poking their head through and sitting nicely while I do it up.

Well Tiko isn't here right now shes missing a week now, All my other birds are harness trained.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Taming & Basic Training