Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Refusing to step up

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Refusing to step up

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Mango sometimes refuses to step up and this happens mostly when I want to take him out of the room for a shower or maybe just to go downstairs both which he likes doing, He doesn't refuse by biting or anything he will either fly on to my shoulder and as I begin to walk out the door he would fly back to his swing or the cage and if he does step up he will fly as soon as I get to the door or even immediately.Any reasons why he is doing this?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Refusing to step up

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:16 pm

All parrots can do that from time to time. They have their own minds.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:26 am

seagoatdeb wrote:All parrots can do that from time to time. They have their own minds.

Its not from time to time though its becoming a regular thing now.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:59 am

When Gaugan was a young parrrot she would test the step up from time to time in ways similar to what you are saying. I just perservered and would do step up training with praise. She eventually saw I was consistent and she always steps up now and has for many many years. During the life time of a parrot they will test you many times. For Gaugan it was her baby years, and the strongest period was when she hit 4 years old.

For the reason they do it, you would have to be able to read their minds, but I look at it as having their own minds or testing and if it gets to be a problem, I retrain.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:11 pm

He doesn't want to leave the room. Parrots decide whether they want to do something or not and, personally, I don't believe in insisting or trying to train them out of making their own decisions... They are smart enough to know what they want and the same way that I would not push a person to do something they don't want to do, I don't push a parrot. I would do it with a dog but not with a parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Pajarita wrote:He doesn't want to leave the room. Parrots decide whether they want to do something or not and, personally, I don't believe in insisting or trying to train them out of making their own decisions... They are smart enough to know what they want and the same way that I would not push a person to do something they don't want to do, I don't push a parrot. I would do it with a dog but not with a parrot.

Well he cant just stay in there forever lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Sometimes we have to do things we dont want to
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Pajarita wrote:He doesn't want to leave the room. Parrots decide whether they want to do something or not and, personally, I don't believe in insisting or trying to train them out of making their own decisions... They are smart enough to know what they want and the same way that I would not push a person to do something they don't want to do, I don't push a parrot. I would do it with a dog but not with a parrot.

Parrots will push each other, and Gaugan will not let Sunny do some things he wants to do. Thats the way it is and it is perfectly natural and they have learned to understand each other. I can agree with you up to a point. Of couse you dont over push but you shouldnt spoil the parrot either. Its not good for them. Brandon is correct, we all have to do things we dont want to sometimes. We learn to all fit in to the flock. When parrots know the routines and everything is stable they are happy.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:45 am

Yeah I bring him into a smaller room for training at the same time everyday and we do everything else at the same time I even start going to bed as early as 8 pm and you really do wake up feeling great.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:47 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:

Parrots will push each other, and Gaugan will not let Sunny do some things he wants to do. Thats the way it is and it is perfectly natural and they have learned to understand each other. I can agree with you up to a point. Of couse you dont over push but you shouldnt spoil the parrot either. Its not good for them. Brandon is correct, we all have to do things we dont want to sometimes. We learn to all fit in to the flock. When parrots know the routines and everything is stable they are happy.

Parrots don't need to learn to 'fit in the flock' and they don't do anything they don't want to do - there is no such thing in the wild and, as you know, I advocate emulating natural conditions as much as possible. If a parrot wants to fly to another tree, no other parrot stops him, and, if a parrot does not want to fly to another tree while the others do, no other parrot pushes him to do it. That's the way a flock works... I normally use the word 'democracy' to describe it but, in reality, it's complete anarchy :lol: because every parrot decides for itself. In captivity, we take away the greatest majority of the decisions they should be making on their own and that, in itself, it's extremely stressful to them (again, as you know, I advocate eliminating as many sources of stress as possible for them). As to Gaugan and Sunny's relationship, I don't know exactly what you are referring to when you say that Gaugan does not allow Sunny to do things he wants to do but I doubt that this means Gaugan preventing Sunny from going or not going into another room which is, basically, what the issue with Mango is about.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training