Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Get an umbrella cockatoo to get on a step up stick

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Get an umbrella cockatoo to get on a step up stick

Postby Sissy B » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you wolf means a lot just feel like I'm a bother. Now why is it Elvis loves to chase my husband and daughter? Is it because he wants to bond faith them. Because Everytime he sees either of them he charges after them it's funny and cute so they stay away from him or he goes in his cage for a little while. Once my husband picks him up he cuddles and does not want to leave him. Troy don't want him to bite him because he already has. Once on the leg while charging Troy and twice on are i think because he was falling and tried to catch himself. At the same time Troy don't want to hole him as long as I allow him to cuddle with me. Any suggestions would help on what to do or tell Troy and Samantha what to do
Thank you Elvis and Irish Blue's momma
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Cockatoos love to go after people's feet, dogs, cats, other birds and, basically, whatever walks on the floor. It can be a game or it can be aggression, it depends on the situation/bird/person or animal pursued. Freddy does it all the time and, if you try to walk away from him kind of fast, he starts hopping after you faster than anybody would imagine a bird could hop :lol: He also uses the super fast hop to get away from me when he wants to go somewhere he is not allowed (like a cat litter box!). Tell your husband not to walk away from him but to stand without moving and, while talking to him in a cheery tone of voice, put his hand down for him and ask him to step up. I don't recommend your daughter does it because, if he is been aggressive, he can bite a finger off her hand but she could put down a stick for him to step up to.

Sometimes, they just want to chew the shoes or the shoelaces (Freddy loves to go after people wearing sneakers because he likes to pull the little thingie at the end of the shoelace).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Sissy B » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Well he really attacked my husband today bit him pretty good on the hand three times he was doing great until my husband want me to get him off him and when I tried that is when he attacked Troy. My daughter's are both 24 and 26. The 26 yr is the one he chases
Thank you Elvis and Irish Blue's momma
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:03 am

I have been hoping that birdwoman would pop in on this topic to share with you about this issue as she has several cockatoos that she is slave to.

I do not have any cockatoos in my home so my actual knowledge is somewhat limited. I have read several times from people living with cockatoos that sometimes you have to turn the tables on them when they go after you, by not only standing your ground but by sometimes running right back at them screaming loudly and waving your arms. The think is that, I don't like that method and I do not know what the bad side effects of it would be whether it worked or not, but I would venture to say that if it did not work that it could lead to an increased aggressiveness. I am betting that birdwoman would have the answers that you are looking for. Perhaps you could PM her if she does not see this and ask her about this directly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Look at your other posting, I answered there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training