Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cuddle time with Elvis

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Cuddle time with Elvis

Postby Sissy B » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 am

:cockatoo: Elvis loves to cuddle he sits on my chest and puts his head on my shoulder wants to do this for a while I have left him do it yesterday and he sat there for 30 mins. Is this a good thing or should I limit his cuddle time. He also loves to be covered up whit a light blanket (baby receiving blanket). And another thing he click or runs his tongue to his beak and want to be loved on I know that's his way of saying he is comfortable with me so should I limit his cuddle time or is it alright to let him go it for as long as he likes. And I promise one last question for a while. If noticed the talk of hormonal birds how do you know or how can you tell if this is the case.

Thanks you all are the best
Thank you Elvis and Irish Blue's momma
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old
Flight: No

Re: Cuddle time with Elvis

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 pm

No, don't promise any 'last question'! Ask as many questions or as often as you want, this is exactly what we are here for: to share what we have learned with new owners.

Let him cuddle as much as he wants! He needs it! Cockatoos are extremely needy and been ON their human is all they aspire to! The only thing you need to be careful about is not to touch his back, his belly or under his wings because these are all erogenous zones to them. Now, I will admit to been a bit too physical with mine -it's real hard not to hug them to you when they get so much happiness from it- but mine are kept at a 100% strict solar schedule and I switch their diet with the seasons so I know they are not overly hormonal or even plain hormonal this time of the year (I never hug them during their breeding seasons). Yours is still not sexually mature (that happens between 3 and 5 years of age), he is still a juvenile, so you have a bit more leeway than people with mature ones...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Cuddle time with Elvis

Postby liz » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:15 pm

I have noticed in both Amazons and Cockatiels that their nostrils get red.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training