Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

window obsession

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

window obsession

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:05 am

hello all,
I have kiwi the IRN which is about 6 months old, we have had him for almost 2 months now, he is much better than we first got him but he is soo nervous around me and more around my husband, he steps up sometimes especially if we show him a sunflower seed which he is crazy about, if we don't offer him anything while stepping up he will use us to get to higher perch, obviously he will clipped before we got him and I'm pretty sure they did a bad job, he is not able to glide and fly but cant fly higher than where he is already perching.

to be clear the daily routine is I give him something to eat in the morning go to work and come bk at 2 pm get him out of the cage, he usually heads straight to the window and nothing can stop him from getting to it, he seems to be obsessed with watching the outside world, that's when he ignores us or gets more scared of us than usual. I just let him watch for about half an hour to 30 min while I do my house chores, when I finish I offer him food and sit with him sing and talk to him, he would eat and then id get him a toy that I fill with seeds (4 sunflowerseeds) when he's done with that I do some training with him like step up and getting him to let me touch his head and beak, he would let me do it coz he knows he'll get something out of it but I can tell that he doesn't feel comfortable with it. this would take around 2 hours when hes done id put him in his cage to sleep.

he seems less nervous around me and more around my husband, I want him to get used to us.
I want to know if its bad or cruel to let him watch out the window.

I would appreciate all ur replies

:)
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: window obsession

Postby liz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 am

What he sees out the window is enrichment for his mind. Can you put his cage in that window so he can watch while you are away.

I have found that not interacting with the bird will give it more opportunity to watch you. He needs to learn who and what you are before he will reach out to you. Spend time around him and talk or sing. You could even read a book or watch TV if you verbally get involved with the program. They love singing.

Let him make the first move to you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I agree with Liz 100! Put his cage by the window he loves so much!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:17 pm

I have always put my cages so my parrots can see out the window. It gives them something good to look at, but it also shows them what is making noise outside so it helps with confindence too.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby liz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:22 am

Where I do not have a perch in front of a window Myrtle will hand upside down from the curtain rod to see what is going an outside.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:29 pm

lol Liz what a character she is. I have a balcony off my dining room and my parrotst have some hanging toys by the window, which I have connected at the top by a cotton rope. The crows, magpies etc, will often come and land on the balcony to watch my parrots and my two parrots will chirp back at them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby mmeager » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:43 am

I certainly agree with all, Its great for him to watch out the window. I also have an IRN.

Our first bird was also an IRN, and he did exactly the same thing, so I can really understand your concern, as at the time it also concerned me.
At first he would always head straight for the window, and appeared to be obsessed with it, I always left him be for a while, but then I decided that whenever he headed straight for the window, I would distract him, with food, a toy, or whatever I could, after he became comfortable with not only me, but also being free in our house, it didn't take very long before he was sitting on my shoulder, looking out that very same window, and his obsession with the window actually disappeared. So give your bird some time, allow him/her to become comfortable, and claim your surroundings as his/hers as well, and I'm sure all will be fine.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby liz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 am

Myrtle likes to take things apart. I connect multiple shower curtain rings and hang them in areas that she likes. Her favorite is the one hanging at the sliding door in the back of the house. She can play with her rings and look out into the yard to see what other critters are doing. She also goes to the living room window and hang on a curtain to see who is at the door or in the yard. She has never flown into a window. I walked her around while she was on my shoulder and tapped on the windows to show her what they are.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 am

Hello all thanks for ur replies, i put kiwi's cage infront of the window for him to watch while were away, when i come home i let him out and he heads for the window, i understand that he enjoys it coz i do too lol there are so many birds out and trees its very nice to watch, however when hes away from the window he seems to be more comfertable when im near him, but when hes watching out and i go to him he freaks out and tries to fly away from me
danamaynah
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:17 am

First thing that is coming to my mind is that I would not place his cage in front of the window. I would place the cage next to the window for the following reasons, (1) so that he can get out of the direct sunlight so that he does not overheat from the sun and (2) So that if there are any predators that can reach the window, either land bound predators such as cats and dogs and avian predators such as hawks as well. If he is off to the side of the window then he would or should be safer.

Are you speaking to him before and during the time that you are approaching him at the window? I always speak to my birds using their name when ever I want to approach them. It helps with my birds. Perhaps you could place a comfortable chair by the window so that he can get used to your sitting by the window with him, it might help him to be a bit less excited around the window. Part of the reason that he tries to avoid you at this time is because you may be moving him away from where he wants to be, he could just need more time for it to become a normal activity for him.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training