Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

window obsession

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: window obsession

Postby liz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:31 am

At the time the owl hit, my cockatiels were caged. They could not get away and the owl kept coming. They were screaming for help. I ran as fast as I could and saw an owls face hit the window. It took me a long time to calm them down. Rainbow was on top of her cage and screaming "HELP". She was so scared she didn't even think to jump.

My little ones, though not confined to cages, know that a cage is also protection. Even those of my refugees who are still afraid will come to the wire of the cage to tweeter to me nose to beak. They are not afraid and know the wire will protect them in case I decide to eat them. The hardware cloth on the window turns the room into a very big cage. A predator may startle them to fly away but know the predator cannot get them. The screen is still there to keep the bugs out.

I wish my window was bigger. They bunch up with very little room to move. I have a makeshift ladder for those who cannot fly (Phoenix and Tweet) and a platform for Gimpy to land on. (The pleasure of seeing Gimpy fly and even swoop me is so rewarding that I just watch him in amazement. He is missing a leg and the other one is twisted. If that was not bad enough his prior human trimmed his wings. He was a lump.)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:52 pm

AWWWW, you made my day with the Gimpy story! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:41 am

update on the bonding

I have been spending more time with him and I noticed he likes to watch me when I'm not trying to get close to him but in the same room, I read in a site that some parrots do not like the normal petting on the head but enjoy petting under the wing (it also said not to pet him too low under the wing as not to sexually stimulate him) just at the start of the wing section, plus while petting his head I individually gently twist the feather which will clean the powder or dandruff and I noticed he really loved that.

I have started this today only and after doing three sessions of the petting each 5 min give or take, he climbed up to my shoulder and for the first time didn't fly away, he stayed there and actually started playing with strands of my hair and gently nibbled on my ear (scared me alooottttt) I'm glad he didn't bite my ear, he stayed on my shoulder for about 10 min without flying but as soon as the window is in his sight he would fly to it.

the second time before I put him to bed, he stayed in my shoulder for about 15 min (tried to climb my head and fly) I just put him back on my shoulder and he seemed very comfortable that he started grinding his beak and adjusting his feathers.

I'm very happy that ive made progress and seem like I'm really bonding with him, however I would like to know if its good as it seems and I'm not doing anything wrong. :violin: :irn:
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:07 pm

:lol: Well, yes, they do enjoy getting petted under the wings, it's an erogenous zone (the whole area and not only 'low') so you are, in fact, giving it a sexual caress and who doesn't like that?! I would not do it if I were you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:51 am

oh no, ill stop petting him there then.

I have my friend's kid, and he wasn't interested in stepping up at the beginning but he did after a while.
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training