Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Step up training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Step up training

Postby Flyingbird » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 pm

:senegal:

[color=#000080]Our seven year old male Senegal parrot has bonded to me, but is usually friendly to my mother, who feeds him. He responds to me while training, but my mum just started trying step up with him. She has been afraid of him, so never attempted it before. After my mum did it a couple times, it seems like soon after he started following her. He started flying at her and landing on her head many times in row; he also looked quite desperate to get to her, which caused her to move aside from him but he continued to do so. He also called out to her, but when she came and he asked for petting, he did not seem very gentle. Before flying on her, he also flew onto me more than usual.

This is unusual behaviour from him this evening.

What could be the cause of this, as we are confused?
Do senegals prefer to step up onto a hand of the person they are bonded to?

Thank you.[/color]
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars, Senegal parrot and Peach Fronted Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Step up training

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:36 pm

It would be helpful to know more about your Senegal in order to give you a more accurate answer. Each parrot has their very own personality so no two of them are the same and they respond differently to any given circumstance. That which works for one parrot will not always work for another parrot.

Most of what you said appears to me to be normal behavior. My Senegal parrot always tries to land on my head and although I duck or weave she has gotten pretty good at hovering long enough to land on my head most of the time, even though I don't let her remain there as she leaves little presents in my hair if I let her stay there.

The only thing that I see different is that it is possible that your parrot may be trying to change who he considers to be his special human, but I really do not have enough information to say for certain.

Most parrots prefer to step up for their special human, but will often step up for others if they have a treat or sometimes if it is someone new and they feel comfortable enough in their home environment. But some will not step up for anyone except for their special human.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Flyingbird » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:58 am

Thank you for your kind response.

Our Senegal seems to have calmed down today. :senegal:
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Glad to hear things are better but, in any case and going by what you describe, it seems to me that your bird chose your mother as 'his' human.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Glad to hear your Senegal calmed down. His reaction to your mother was most likely because she had just started to do step up training after being afraid of the parrot previously. He likely got excited at the relationship change and then calmed down by next day. I have seen that many times with various Pois.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Flyingbird » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Thank you again; much appreciate your ideas

Yes we did wonder about all these possibilities. How do we include my mum in the socializing process, as he appears to be possessive of me?
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:47 pm

What is it that he does that makes you think that he is possessive of you? Because, going by what you posted previously ("After my mum did it (step up) a couple times, it seems like soon after he started following her. He started flying at her and landing on her head many times in row; he also looked quite desperate to get to her, which caused her to move aside from him but he continued to do so. He also called out to her, but when she came and he asked for petting, he did not seem very gentle.") he seems to have chosen your mother as his human.

But, in any case, regardless of who he actually chose, senegals are one-person birds. They can learn to tolerate others but they will not develop a strong bond with them, they 'save' all their love for their chosen one. And that's not something you can change with any amount of training because it's hard-wired into them by nature.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:35 pm

My goal is usually to have my poi able to be picked up by others to go from A to B. All pois have a favorite person, and they are all capable of forming some kind of relatioship with others. My Red Belly will let me do anything. My hubby is allowed to take her from A to B if she wants to go...and when she wants to hang with him (when I am not home) she will show him if she wants him to preen her. She is good with my daughter and gets very excited when she comes over. She will even sit on my granddaughter going over to her on her own. My Meyers lets me do anything, but so far will only let others pet the top of his beak or hand him treats. My hubby can still have him out when I am away as he will go back in his cage if a treat is put in there. Just keep on letting your mum have a realtionship with him and they will form some kind of realtionship but he will alway have only one special person.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Flyingbird » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:26 pm

:senegal:
Thank you Pajarita and Seagoatdeb for your tips and advice. My mum is happy to have a relationship with him, but does not wish to be his favourite human:).
Enjoy your birds :gcc: :redbelly:
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Return to Taming & Basic Training