Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HOW CAN I KNOW ABOUT MY PARROT & HOW TO TRAIN HER?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: HOW CAN I KNOW ABOUT MY PARROT & HOW TO TRAIN HER?

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:03 am

I do not have any experience with wild caught parrots of either aviary type or companion type of species, but I do know that unless you hang out in the same room as he is in and talk to him frequently even if it is at a distance that he will never get used to you enough to come to trust you.

The closest that I have to a wild caught bird is an ex-breeder bird, which are very often impossible to get to trust a human due to their past treatment by humans. I talk to him all of the time and he is in the same room as my other birds and myself. He gets to watch me as I interact with the other birds and as I go through my daily activities and I drop the occasional treat for him in his food dish when I pass by. I do not reach into his cage or put any pressure of any kind on him. When he starts to move towards me in his cage in anticipation of me coming closer then I will know that it is time to start working on hand taming him, but not until he shows me that he is ready for it.

I know that you want to interact with him and to build a relationship with him, but this is something that must be done at his pace and if you watch him and learn from him, then you will be able to see when, if ever, he is ready for the next step in that direction. These birds live for a very long time, so don't get caught up in worrying about how long it may take or start pushing him to accept you as that will only keep him from accepting you.

I have a bird that was mistreated for 14 years and although she is a companion species and captive bred and raised it took her over a year before she could begin to trust us at all and it was still another year before she would even come to the outside of her cage set up with both toys and perches for her. It has taken three, almost four years for her to accept being out of her cage and to perching on her human's arm for more than five minutes.

Other than what I have suggested already, the only thing that I can recommend is more patience and consistency and to allow the bird to set the pace.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Reaching into the birds cage is an invasion of territory. The cage is the only thing it owns and will defend it.
I open the door and let them come out on their own. Now they have their own room. It has a big cage in it but they mostly hang out on it and play with the toys and swings. I have 3 cockatiels that have been with me a good while. Two became flock members with my rescued and damaged birds. One, Tommy, still comes to me by climbing around the cage and waiting for my finger to step on.
The flock freaks out if I go in their room without warning them even if they had been calling me. When I sit on the floor they use me as a perch. They still do not want touched but will walk up to me "talking" as they come. Tommy gives me kisses. Sometimes Jackie does but I have to have my hands behind my back.
I have found that they relax faster if you are available for them to watch and listen to while you do anything but pay attention to them. They can learn who you are and how you are without you making contact.
I am still learning about parrots and will probably not ever know enough. I do know each ones personality, likes and fears.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby dragonlady2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:15 pm

You have a male moustache parrakeet, females have black beaks while males have reddish beaks. I would leave the poor bird alone for at least two weeks before trying to work with him. He needs to get used to your presence. Sit beside him, read to him, give him a few treats and give him a chance to see you are not a threat. I had a female a few years ago and she was definitely a hands off bird, but she loved sitting on my shoulder. Everyone has given you great advice. Hope you are able to experience some success with him.
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training