Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Older bird that bites

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Older bird that bites

Postby jeeckard2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:29 pm

I rescued a cherry-headed conure a few months ago. He is at least 7 or 8 years old, never had much human contact and stayed in his cage most of his life. I'm fairly sure he was never hand-fed. I also have two cockatiels that I've had since they were babies, and they are trained well.

The problem is that the conure bites a lot, drawing blood from my hand, ear, neck and face. I know there are several issues I'm dealing with, and I'm just trying to figure out the best solution.

First, the conure has fallen in love with my female cockatiel. He follows her around, flirts with her, tries to get close. She tolerates him, but she's just not that into him. To make matters worse, the female cockatiel is bonded with me - not the other cockatiel. The two cockatiels tolerate each other only.

I believe part of the problem stems from his lack of human interaction, and he's scared of people. Second, he's jealous of my relationship with his love interest. The female cuddles with me, rides on my shoulder and loves when I rub her head. He wants me to stop messing with his girl.

I keep all three in a separate room, and they're not caged. I don't plan on caging them, so if that is a solution, I'll just keep buying Band-Aids.

Any ideas on getting an older conure to stop biting?
jeeckard2
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cherry-headed conure and two cockatiels.
Flight: Yes

Re: Older bird that bites

Postby Kathleen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I see this question from people who have aggressive birds a lot... "how do I get it to stop biting me??" You can't. I think most parrots will bite once in a while. What you can do is minimize the biting through training techniques.

First I want to ask you a few questions because I don't know enough background information. If you help me understand the situation better, then I can give you advice and direct you to some articles that would be useful to you.

What happens before the bite? What is the sequence of events that leads to the bite? How do you approach the bird?

What happens after the bite? How do you react? How does the bird react to your reaction?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training