Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Alexandrian ring neck will not eat anything

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Alexandrian ring neck will not eat anything

Postby Romanxdsouza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi all i have a alexandrian ring neck around 2months old ...
My plan is to feed him 3times a day in his cage as per my schedule .. so morning 8am ,afternoon 1oclock and evening6pm this is my schedule...a bit of training on the Tstand before feeding inside the cage...need to knw what to feed during the 3 times....food easily available for me ....fruits-banana,papaya,watermelon veggies-garbanzo beans,mung beans,red lentil,green and red chilly,boiled rice,
seeds-sunflower,watermelon,pumkin,pearl millets,corn,groundnuts
leafs-spinach,lettuce.....how ever, not sure if i soak it in cold water or boild and feed....???? So i normally boil till soft and then feed??how to divide fruits,veggies for 3 meals

Here the situation.........
In the morning my bird starts screaming really really bad for food and never never stops i totally ignore this ...i wait for him to take a break from screaming so i can give him attention and remove the cage covering and give him food,but he sees me near the cage and starts screaming even more...ever time i go to the cage he screams and i know hes hungry.....what should i do about this screaming as he never stops to give me a change to correct the behaviour...even if i ignore him when i go back to the cage he starts again???? Any salutions

So ,While he screaming i prepare his food in his plate fruits or sometimes veggies...as soon as i open the door of the cage he wants to come out....so i let him come out on his Tstand ....i show him his food plate, even eat a bit from it in frount of him ,and try to lure him into the cage to eat but he does not care about the food even thou hungry ,i tried to lure him with treats aswell, still does not want to go inside the cage.
The only way then is to make him step up get ,him near the plate of food in the cage and actually bite the food and feed him the bitten food with a spoon thats the only way he eats....some times he fusses even to eat from my hand ....its so strange ...?? In this way i cannot judge what is his likes to use as treats???

My plan is to teach him a few tricks on the Tstand with treats before fedding....then put his food in a plate and keep it in his cage so he can go eat on his own inside the cage.....but he makes it so difficult...????? Any suggestions...he is like 2months old name romeo....which i may change to PHYSO hehehe
Romanxdsouza
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrian ring neck ,red vented bulbul
Flight: No

Re: Alexandrian ring neck will not eat anything

Postby liz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 am

At two months I would still be feeding formula. Get his belly full of formula then offer the healthy foods for him to pick at during the day.

He is hungry but was not told by his parents what is good to eat. After formula eat with him.

Myrtle was a year old and came to me on a seed diet. She would not eat anything but what Rainbow accepted first. Now she wants anything anyone is eating.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 15
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Lacy Flutter Phoenix Jackie Tweet Amos Andy Gimpy Louise
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:57 am

OMG, the baby is not misbehaving, it's starving and screaming for food! This is not a behavior that needs to be corrected, you need to feed the poor starving bird as soon as you get up! At two months of age, you need to handfeed, at least, twice a day (once first thing in the morning -and that means at dawn- and once in the evening -at dusk) and offer soft, warm food served fresh twice a day, too (and you are supposed to leave it there in the cage all the time). By ignoring his screams you are creating a terrible situation that is going to backfire on you BIG TIME because you are not only starving the baby which will end up with an eating disorder but you are also traumatizing it and these birds are not easy to keep bonded to their humans even when they learn to depend on them (you are doing the opposite by not feeding it when it's hungry).

PLEASE start hand-feeding that baby ASAP! And no training until the bird is about 8 or 10 months old, either. You need to wait until he is fully grown and is old enough to understand what you want out of it but it might not work now...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby Romanxdsouza » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 am

Im not sure on the age he has all his feathers looks quite big now ....he is being fed and eating i give him formula in the evenings only so he is on full belly before the night...i dont keep him hungry....he is properly hand tamed as well with step up....i cannot attach pics says file invalid or you would get an idea...

My question is ...?When he screams in the morning for food ,do i just put food in the cage feed him a bit and then let him eat on his own or wait for him to get quite then feed him...?????n

Can you give me your email i could foward pics of him now.....and when i just got him ..so you will get an idea on his age
Romanxdsouza
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

You need to handfeed him in the morning and leave soft food in his cage for the rest of the day until the afternoon when you put fresh soft food in there and, at dusk, you need to handfeed him again. And, no, you never wait until they are quiet to feed them, you feed them when they first wake up.

Baby birds are the same size as an adult and fully plumaged but they are still babies and ALL babies are tame and step up. Didn't the breeder tell you the hatchday? You should have a certificate with the date on it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby Romanxdsouza » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Baby birds are the same size as an adult and fully plumaged but they are still babies and ALL babies are tame and step up. Didn't the breeder tell you the hatchday? You should have a certificate with the date on it...[/quote]

Tried feeding him exact formula in morning he did not eat....so i gave him garbanzo beans and boiled corn he ate this on his own.....should i still continue with formula as his formula is almost over ????????

is this routine ok
morning till afternoon-start with formula if not eating then...garbanzo beans and boiled corn,red lentils,chick,peas

afternoon-papaya,banana,boilded rice,or other fruits

Evening- if not formula...garbanzo beans and boiled corn,red lentils,chick,peas
I would like to know how do i go about his food schedule like fruits first or veggies,afternoon or night or morning,????when to stop formula??pellets which brand??

..wanted to introduce pellets but not show which brand available here in india....any pellet names for alexandrians??????

.......well no breeder as such a friend of mine here from india gave him to me, he found him in his village since his folks were not ok with romeo being in his house, i adopted him.
Romanxdsouza
Parakeet

Return to Taming & Basic Training