Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

THREAD CLOSED

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: STOP ALEXANDRIAN SCREAMING EARLY MORNINGS

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:30 am

I think the problem is that he was taken way too young from his parents (breeders NEVER pull them this young) and that he must have gone hungry for days before he got to you and, possibly, even after because parents feed all the time (they take turns but the baby gets food once every hour, more or less) when the babies are in the nest. Birds that are pulled too young from the nest or weaned incorrectly develop eating disorders and one of the symptoms is the screaming as well as the constant begging even when they are adults.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 am

Well, I can tell you that the 'wait until the crop is empty to feed again' is wrong. The crop is only supposed to empty once a day (during the night). And I'll tell you more, baby birds often develop what is called 'slow crop' when fed incorrectly (wrong temperature, wrong consistency) and their crop would not empty for hours. Birds digest their food completely (from beak to poop) in two hours so, obviously, once every four hours is not often enough for such a young baby.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 am

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu May 04, 2017 5:51 am

Like adopting a human child, you never really know what they have gone through. You can get a little info from the person who gave it to you but there are many things that that human did not know about him.

I think he has separation problems and wants to be with you all the time. The baggage that comes with them has to be learned. Even when getting a baby you just don't know how it was treated.

My daughter has a big boxer dog. When it first moved in with me he was happy to be with me. I would feed him twice a day and give him snacks between meals. He would be sweet and wagging his tail but as soon as I let go of his food bowl he would come at me. I think he was teased with food or just not fed enough. It was a year before he realized that he had a schedule and that food came on time.

You bird may have come with baggage you do not know of. You adopted him as a child. You need to try to understand his personality and fears. There is no quick fix for his problems.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 am

Romanxdsouza wrote:Yes i did read about it and vet did check the crop did a test of crop sample n poop so al good hes out of the crop stage...screaming still on but much less

What do you mean 'he's out of the crop stage'? They are never out of the crop stage because there is no 'crop stage' - it's like saying that a baby is out of the colic stage - no such thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri May 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri May 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

THREAD CLOSED

Postby Romanxdsouza » Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Last edited by Romanxdsouza on Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romanxdsouza
Lovebird

Postby liz » Sat May 06, 2017 6:24 am

I am sorry if it feels like I am nagging you. My 40+ kids tell me that all the time. I have never outgrown being a protective mother. So sorry it bothered you. I do know that I repeat myself and it feels like I am nagging.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training